Decisions, decisions... new knife purchase, I think I know what I want but I need some help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_v_l

Reaction score
Well hello everybody, first post, so I'll give ya some background info about my knifes, and the work they do so you can help me with my decision...

Currently own 32 knives in my collection (selling a few soon) ranging from santokus, gyutos, sujihiki, yanagi, kodeba, petty/utility, pairing, bread, and i'm sure i'm forgetting a few. Makers of my knifes are as follows, Chroma 301, Kanetsune, Messermeister Suncraft, Shun, Glestain, New West Knife Works, Tojiro Classic, Myabi, F. Dick and i might have left out one or two out.

Most used knifes, Messermeister Santoku (molybdenum), Tojiro Classic Santoku (VG10), Kanetsune Sujihiki (2N Steel), New west knifeworks chef/gyuto (Carbon Steel), Glestain petty (Acuto Steel).

Work done with said knifes, mince veg., cutting soft veg., cutting hard/rough veg., Breaking down/cutting beef, lamb, pig, chicken, duck, fish, sausage... Cutting breads toasted/untoasted, standard kitchen prep...

Fan of my knife collection but I have my select few, as mentioned above to be my workhorses, most used knife is my kanetsune, only down side is it is 2N steel which is not stainless so maintenance comes into play more then i would like, holds an edge rather well, as i've done some fiddling with the it, went from 16 degrees on both sides OOTB to a 12ish degree on the left side and a double bevel 32/10ish degree on the right, absolutely love it now its "mine". With that said I hit all my knifes on my collection of stones depending on how bad the wear. I will start with 220/400 or 800 then move to 1000 and on to 3000, knives get honed before and after each service.

Little more about my work, I'm currently working at Euclid Hall in Denver, you may have possibly heard of it, we are getting lots of publicity now... both chefs on Top Chef masters on bravo, number 4 on top 10 in usa to have a latenight snack as rated by zagat. We stay rather busy everyday, doing 400 to 500 covers on a slow night to 800-1000+ on a busy, in a 160 seat restaurant. I work the line there and my knifes get plenty of use.

Like I said i love my workhorses but I'm looking for a gyuto that can keep up, something i wont have to put on a stone ever week or so, and a knife i wont have to polish and remove patina from every so often.

At the moment I'm looking into the 9" maybai birchwood SG2 gyuto, the knife is absolutely stunning, love the handle (big on my knife handles) and the blade, I have held it and played with it at SLT and liked it alot. My question is will the SG2 hold up to my daily "grind" without sharpening every week or so, is it worth the money, a know there is that extra money put on top of the blade for the myabi/zwilling name, can i find something better for the same price. Another thing that factors into the cost for me is one the industry discount, its only 10% but its still a discount, and two SLT return policy.

If I'm heading in the right direction let me know if I'm not please do say so. And sorry for rambling on and on.

The Miyabi birchwood SG-2 gyuto is a stunning blade.I think the extra cost is because of the damascus bling & the nice handle.At around 300.00 + a little less for you,there are many J-Gyuto options out there.JMO but I'm not a big fan of fancy surface damascus blades in a busy production kitchen.You pay extra for the look & after many sharpenings & use the damascus takes a beating.There is alot of hype wt. some knives & damascus,bottom line it is blade geometry,steel,heat treatment that make well performing knives,not surface bling.

The Miyabi birchwood SG-2 gyuto is a stunning blade.I think the extra cost is because of the damascus bling & the nice handle.At around 300.00 + a little less for you,there are many J-Gyuto options out there.JMO but I'm not a big fan of fancy surface damascus blades in a busy production kitchen.You pay extra for the look & after many sharpenings & use the damascus takes a beating.There is alot of hype wt. some knives & damascus,bottom line it is blade geometry,steel,heat treatment that make well performing knives,not surface bling.

Thanks for the reply, i think i may stay away from it, looking at other knifes I found myself really interested in a Kiritsuke style knife. I found a few i liked. I'm going to stop by william sonoma to get a feel for the one shun makes in there "blue line". Not a fan of shun's for there bling factor and the fact that everyone has a shun and from what i have seen they seem to get stolen quite a bit. But I would atleast like to get a feel for the kind of knife it is.

Might I suggest having a look at the Konosuke HD2 Kiritsuke shaped wa gyuto, runs about $280-$330 from various sites and the Koichi Kiritsuke shaped gyuto from Jon at JKI at $290, both 240mm, octagonal wa handles.

They certainly don't have all that (faux) bling going on, but I'd be confident they'll perform in a different league. The Konosuke is semi stainless, know, a few people how have used them and love them, only held one myself and felt nice, F+F was top. Never used a Koichi but many members here really enjoy them.

Hope that helps some.

Cheers,
Josh

Might I suggest having a look at the Konosuke HD2 Kiritsuke shaped wa gyuto, runs about $280-$330 from various sites and the Koichi Kiritsuke shaped gyuto from Jon at JKI at $290, both 240mm, octagonal wa handles.

They certainly don't have all that (faux) bling going on, but I'd be confident they'll perform in a different league. The Konosuke is semi stainless, know, a few people how have used them and love them, only held one myself and felt nice, F+F was top. Never used a Koichi but many members here really enjoy them.

Hope that helps some.

Cheers,
Josh

thanks i'll check them out

Back