McLean Customs Shaving Brushes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
We all knew it was only a matter of time; This new product will be all handmade, by me (knots sourced from the same maker as many top brush lines use). I'll be taking no custom orders on brushes, and I'll be working them in when I need to do something different, or when my saya work is at a standstill, because of waiting for curing, etc. The fact of the matter is that I love a great shaving brush, and I want to bring that aspect of wet-shaving over to this community. I receive many emails regarding which brush I'd recommend for a new wet-shaver, or for someone who wants to try a new brush. I feel these questions will be answered, without having to directly write back. My brushes will be done exactly with the loft to diameter ratios, knot types and handle styles that I love to use, myself. Basically, if I made it, I believe in the attributes of the brush.

Here's my first "Official" one, which was made for my friend Michael Rader, as a thank you for many things, but namely, the lathe (and chisels) that I will be using to make these brushes.

Here it is, all finished up. Zebrawood handle. Silvertip knot. Big, badass styling. Brushes like this one will be the most expensive I will offer, and I am still trying to figure out exactly what that will translate to. Please, let me know your thoughts on this one, guys.

536DCA0B-792B-4935-9BC9-5E96A32DB772-2039-0000033009C67513_zpsae7bf82a.jpg

39916DBE-5541-454D-B1A4-8452080534F9-2039-000003301C471E45_zps1e5ef7b5.jpg

Looks great Tom. And I agree that its awesome to spread the love of wet shaving. So feel good and classy.

Ohhh lust. Love the wood, and am eagerly awaiting more.

The loft looks a little short to me given the diameter of the knot. I assume the stiffness is for working up a lather on a hard soap?

I haven't gone down the shaving rabbit hole, but this looks great Tom. Zebrawood is pretty underrated.
Keep up the good work.

Ohhh lust. Love the wood, and am eagerly awaiting more.

Lol, had to read that a few times to figure out what you actually meant.... Cause I knew it wasn't likely what I was interpreting it as.

Haha I love how often we say unintentionally awesome stuff thanks to KKF. I still love the sale posts about boning knives. I was speaking about the knot... Mostly. It's that nice.

Lol, had to read that a few times to figure out what you actually meant.... Cause I knew it wasn't likely what I was I interpreting it as.

Rick has it bang on. Short loft for face-lathering. It does help with working at triple-milled or other hard soaps, as well. I'm a big believer in face-lathering to get the hairs softened and lifted up. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's just a fun way to shave with nicer products. The benefits of wet-shaving start with proper beard prep, continue with properly working at your facial hair with your brush and soap, and using a slick and cushiony (and moisturizing) lather. From there, a proper razor of any type, and a great after-shave finish the deal.

Almost enough to get me to try wet again. Any chance of getting Tom G onboard for another collaboration - bowl, soap, brush?

I have a couple of his bowls kickin' around....

Almost enough to get me to try wet again. Any chance of getting Tom G onboard for another collaboration - bowl, soap, brush?

:plus1: i would definitely be interested!

Tom thats a great looking brush.

my settings for a knot is around 48mm on a 24mm extra stuffed silvertip. cant go wrong with that.

My latest. There's still another coat to go, but I couldn't wait to show it off. This is my take on the Rooney Stubby 1.

8C30B3A7-31D3-4387-965E-DD33147DD388-3827-000005E9E2E2D8C1_zpsd67d1e63.jpg

Let me know your thoughts!

looks great Tom.
im not a shorthandle lover thou.

here is something fun for you to try :) maybe you seen/tried it already.

Get a metal wire and use the friction to burn lines into the brush handle, pick a high speed on the lathe and just lay the wire ontop and wait til it gets hot and starts burning a grove..pretty easy thing yet cool looking :)

20131024_202058_resized.jpg

A little update for you guys. I'll be updating the boys at B&B as well, but here first. I just ordered some custom blanks for a project that will be really cool for my fellow Canadians (and a firefighter...ahem...Salty?? :D ) These should be here in the new year, and I'll get moving on them ASAP. Until then, I'm busy redoing the entire upper level (pretty much) of my house, and getting the nursery going. Only one more room to go with the flooring....

Back