Semi-annual batch of homemade chili powder.....15lbs worth....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
Every couple of years I make a batch of chili powder...give a fair bit away, and put the rest in the back of the freezer. Super easy to make, and no comparison to the dry, flavorless dust from the grocery shelves....

Each of these bags is about 3lbs.
10937760045_436ae47d5c.jpg

Roast them in the oven @425F for 2-3 minutes to dry further and develop more flavor.
10937817116_44e9e5785a.jpg

10938056703_a79d90294a.jpg

This 5G pot looks pretty empty after the first bowl from the food processor...
10937784265_a27301086b.jpg

10937926494_b450600b11.jpg

2 lbs of toasted cumin + coriander added to the top...
10937834596_5f9708416b.jpg

My poor coffee grinder had a hard time coping. after every 2-3C, I have to let the grinder cool in the window before grinding any more....this is the first batch....
10937917614_8e2cc9aaa7.jpg

The color change reflects a different concentration of coriander/cumin...
10938037653_f1751721f1.jpg

10937822396_65feaace10.jpg

15 lbs all bagged up and ready for gifts and chili....I'm all set for a couple of years.
10937814246_55f235049f.jpg

I'd love to buy some from you too. I have tried to make some random variations of chili powder (and others) with moderate results and yours looks amazing.

If you don't mind giving up some of your secrets I'd love to know more about your concentration of each chili pepper. I have an uber blender so I think i can kill the chilis well but that looks so damn good, now i really need to find a place to buy bulk dried chilis

Looks like a lifetime supply to me ;) nice work!

Stefan

I'm a bit surprised at this interest...my recipe ain't nothing special. Roughly equal portions of: guajillo, ancho, pasilla, and new mexico. About 10% arbol (the only one of these that's actually hot--about 10X as hot as jalepenos). roughly 15% coriander + cumin (equal weights).

My production cost is roughly $5/cup.1 cup is about right for 3lbs of meat (I use chuck roast in 2" cubes).

I'm not sure if it's OK with the forum rules to sell something like this...?

I've been looking all over the net for a dried chili source up here in Canada, and can't find anything that is reasonable. Anyone know of somewhere I could make an order. This thread has got me all riled up to make some :)

the supermercado? If you don't have one anywhere near you, I'd start with Penzey's.

I've been looking all over the net for a dried chili source up here in Canada, and can't find anything that is reasonable. Anyone know of somewhere I could make an order. This thread has got me all riled up to make some :)

never heard of either of those places, but will look em up and see if there are any near me. I am on the west coast

edit: yup, looked around and nothing even remotely near me. That mexican market looks fantastic tho

Supermercado is Spanish for "super market"....usually found in the mexican part of town. Penzey's is an online spice warehouse. I got my peppers from the supermercado in the Mexican section of north Dallas. They had a particularly good selection...but I usually get them at one of the supermercado's in the Mexican section of Little Rock (mid-sized town).

never heard of either of those places, but will look em up and see if there are any near me. I am on the west coast

we have the oldest chinatown in canada and it's also the second oldest (only to San Fran's) in north america but we don't really have any latino presence here in town. I will look around for a market this week. I am doubtful tho as we don't even have many mexican restaurants, let alone markets.

found one mexican market, going to call them tomorrow. thanks OP. if/when you get time, I'd love to know which kinds of peppers you use and in which quantities, cheers

Every Mexican grocery store or Mexican food isle in Safeway/ Albertsons/ Kroeger/ Fred Meyer has those selections of dried chilis. BTW sweet post OP!

Every Mexican grocery store or Mexican food isle in Safeway/ Albertsons/ Kroeger/ Fred Meyer has those selections of dried chilis. BTW sweet post OP!

+1 you'll find a bigger selection at a Mexican market but I've never found a regular grocery store that didn't have all of the dried chilis listed by the OP.

I've made homemade chili powder using my Vitamix, but I've never pre-roasted, I'll have to give that a shot. Toasting and grinding your own cumin is definitely worth doing. Lately I've been boiling my dried chilis then blending them (minus stems and most seeds) in my Vitamix and making a chili paste that has been making excellent chili.

We need a dedicated "chili" thread.

Love it danny, Also, a pro-level belnder will reduce the heat of the blade as its crushing the peppers. I'm a Blendtec guy myself but VMix is top knotch too.

I know you have my address. HUM I'm actually finished the last of my Chili powder last night. Coincidental? Hum :scratchhead:

I'm another fan of Penzy's. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html?id=bzJFDH5F Their mail order support is excellent and I now have a (sort of) local store.

Danny - Do you have a VMix? Yet? A dry blade blender would eat that stuff a couple quarts at a time and look for more. And I happen to have an extra one...

I have a Vitamix but I'm using the regular container, is the dry blade container really necessary or that much better? I just haven't been able to plop out another $100+ on it.

I'm disappointed you didn't hand-chop all those ingredients with your usuba!

I have a Vitamix but I'm using the regular container, is the dry blade container really necessary or that much better? I just haven't been able to plop out another $100+ on it.

The dry container is like a whirly coffee bean grinder on steroids. I use it mostly with BBQ/Smoking rubs to get all ingredients to a uniform size. Just picked extra one up at a VMix promo for $50 gift card. Would not drop the 150 retail, but this was almost free. Most VMix retailers are doing same or similar promo for holiday season.

we have the oldest chinatown in canada and it's also the second oldest (only to San Fran's) in north america but we don't really have any latino presence here in town. I will look around for a market this week. I am doubtful tho as we don't even have many mexican restaurants, let alone markets.

I wonder if you might find some good large dried chillies in Korean or North African shops over in BC? Surely there must be some, as Toronto has them. :spiteful: You might also try Korean chilli powder, though it won't of course have the coriander or cumin Zwiefel's used in his.

Yup...they are pretty ubiquitous as dried chile's go. The only issue I've run into with kroger/albertson's/etc. is that they tend to sit quite a bit longer in those places and lose some of their oils/flavors. Still....a D@MN sight better than the preground stuff in the baking aisle!

And thanks!

Love it danny, Also, a pro-level belnder will reduce the heat of the blade as its crushing the peppers. I'm a Blendtec guy myself but VMix is top knotch too.

I know you have my address. HUM I'm actually finished the last of my Chili powder last night. Coincidental? Hum :scratchhead:

this seems almost like a hint of some sort....

that is amazing!!

we have a store in the Mission District, SF that freshly grinds it for you. big diff in quality.

at home i just toast chili pods as i need it, now. what kinda coffee grinder did you use?

that is amazing!!

we have a store in the Mission District, SF that freshly grinds it for you. big diff in quality.

at home i just toast chili pods as i need it, now. what kinda coffee grinder did you use?

Basic Krups unit, $20 at any dept store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back