Quantcast
Tiredness and Christmas time - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tiredness and Christmas time

I find it helps not to count the hours, ignorance is bliss
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

hehe I only count the hours on payday, but definitely not while I'm working.

If you're getting paid for every hour you're working you're doing pretty good IMO, the longest hours I worked were on salary. Now I work for myself I don't count hours, but I also don't get paid
    Huw

London restaurants, yep. All the decent places are salary paid. I’ve just got out of that scenario, and have moved into a very well know restaurant which has a double team, so no AFDs unless you want the hours. And no way do we get overtime. We sign contracts saying something to this effect: “This salary is for 50 hours, but if that is exceeded you will not be able to claim overtime”

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Wow in the states that is against the law.
    Chewie's the man.

That's standard practice in Oz as well, especially the top places. For young guys who want to learn its definately worth it, it becomes harder to justify when you have enough experience to do your own thing, but the Margins are small at that end of the market, 99% of bosses would love to pay a decent wage, but its not feasible. I'm struggling a bit with this myself at the moment, my guys are worth more than I pay them, but its a new business. I try to make up for it with good conditions, and a pleasant work environment.
    Huw

I do it three times a year 110 hour work weeks for a month or so sometimes longer. What I used to do was sleep at work two days out of the week. On my day off I would not tub there to five times a day to relax my muscles so I feel refreshed. So I can do it for another three weeks. Mentally I keep telling myself all that I did today was great, but not perfect, and try to obtain perfection. It gives me purpose to keep working hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    We sign contracts saying something to this effect: “This salary is for 50 hours, but if that is exceeded you will not be able to claim overtime”
    Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Wow in the states that is against the law.
    In the US you do not need to pay salaried workers OT.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    No you wont get ot with a salary. But you can get the time back lets say you worked 60 hrs in a normal 50 hrs work week. The next week or some time soon you will get the 10 hours off. Hourly worker would get ot at 40hrs.
    Chewie's the man.

Have not seen comp time be mandatory either. Maybe it varies state by state? In the A/E world, working lots of extra hours when deadlines approach is pretty common; I do not know of any firms that hand out comp time like that. Maybe out of the goodness of their hearts they will comp you a day off to cover the 40 extra hours you worked.

+ Reply to Thread