Quantcast
Tiredness and Christmas time
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiredness and Christmas time

Tiredness and Christmas time

So it seems like Christmas has already arrived where I work. We already usually work 80 hour, 6 day weeks, but this is going to get ramped to 100 hour weeks. Add on the 90 mins travel I have a day, and I'm up to about 110 hours for the next 7 weeks. That leaves me about 6 hours a night to sleep on. Anyone have tips for getting me and all the rest of us through?

Forming a union?

Stefan

+1

burn it down
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    wow you need some time off. That many hours gets old, and burn out is a given. When I say the thread title I was thinking winter sickness (if that is the real name of it).
    Chewie's the man.

omg… even 80 hours a week sounds ridiculous to me.
    Is it a common situation for professional cooks in UK? Does you get any extra money for those additional hours?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Crystal Meth!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    No seriously though, I feel for you man. This will be the first holiday season in about 13 years that I haven't been catering. I know about the 100-120 hour work week.
    You're exhausted and everybody else around you is happy, jolly, festive, cheery and drunk.
    And that God-awful Christmas music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And you're expected to be 100%?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I survived with lots of energy drinks and coffee.
    I'm so happy I don't have to do it this year, and hopefully never again. I'm looking forward to maybe enjoying the holidays this year and not being a tired, grumpy zombie slug.
    Best of luck bro.
    Treat yourself to a new knife to energize yourself and stay inspired.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

If you go the crystal meth route please post before and after pics!

The way meth makes a person pale and destroys there teeth is amazing. Would be intesting to see if a difference is noticeable on a Brit.

I have found movie theaters to be great places to recharge when I am doing the monster hours routine. You can spend time with someone you care about without being drained emotionally by too much talking and you can sleep if you want to. And when it's all said and done you feel like you did something a normal human would do.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

That is genius. I've never thought of the movies in that way but it is true. Our holiday season starts Oct. 1 when convention season begins. Try to eat well and take a multivitamin, we all eat like **** when we are too busy. The blood sugar ups and downs are as hard on you as the real fatigue is. I have a mixed opinion on union kitchens. It seems like a good idea but in reality it fosters a lot of laziness and "that's not my job" attitude. And neither of those things is grounds for termination in a union kitchen so you are stuck with a compromised staff.

+ Reply to Thread