Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet Shaving, ala straight razors

Very true on that wedge thing, not many "true" wedges out there. Most have enough ground out to allow for a bevel and spine contact points. I've seen a few worn down enough to be as much a true wedge as you may ever see... and I'm glad I never had to hone it lol

I would love to test run another of your razors... see if I can get the hang of a good stainless blade lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Very true on that wedge thing, not many "true" wedges out there. Most have enough ground out to allow for a bevel and spine contact points. I've seen a few worn down enough to be as much a true wedge as you may ever see... and I'm glad I never had to hone it lol

I would love to test run another of your razors... see if I can get the hang of a good stainless blade lol.
    DC I do not even sure how you hone a true wedge, that thing will make full contact with the stone.
    I tried to fix one that was almost flat and it wouls get stuck to the stone from sucktion and not move at all. Impossible to hone.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    DC I do not even sure how you hone a true wedge, that thing will make full contact with the stone.
    I tried to fix one that was almost flat and it wouls get stuck to the stone from sucktion and not move at all. Impossible to hone.
    Lots of tape on the spine?

I purposely flattened a really worn blade on a DMT once. I don't really know why I did that. I guess I was curious...It's kind of like the guys who thin a whole knife from spine to edge on a stone...

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Lots of tape on the spine?

I purposely flattened a really worn blade on a DMT once. I don't really know why I did that. I guess I was curious...It's kind of like the guys who thin a whole knife from spine to edge on a stone...
    no tape will wear faster than the edge and you can't set the bevel.
    That is the reason why you can't set a bevel on a damaged razor you have to fix the spine first then tape an hone if you like.

So I took Butch's advice and went down to my local store, Junque store, that is, and perused a few straights that they had. I found one that looked to be in pretty good shape, very little corrosion and little hone wear, straight scales. The name in the tang was BO-RAS-IC, some letters with periods and New York. It seemed in good enough shape to at least start playing around with, so I picked it up for 20 bucks, talked down from 25.
    Looking around on the web it appears that this is a pretty good piece, made in Germany. I now have something to start learning on, I think!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

yep sounds like good blade to start with.
    Now my advice is to use tape on the spine while learning .
    Also there isa big series of honing vids by Glen from SRP if you have not seen them here :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gssixgun

Thanks, Main, I'm looking at the tutorials on SRP as we speak! I just read a posting he did on restoring one of these Bo-Ras-Ics.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have a Frederick Reynolds wedge that has some decent hone wear, it's a true ***** to hone.

So is this tape on the spine a universal technique? I see that gssixgun seems to use it a lot. Is this to prevent wear to the spine, as opposed to increasing the angle of the bevel?
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I have a Frederick Reynolds wedge that has some decent hone wear, it's a true ***** to hone.
    Dave you have a grinder you can regrind a new hollow on it