Something gloriously nerdy : Evangelion + Japanese Katana

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Yesterday I received a package from Suisin. I wondered what on earth it could possibly be, because I have never gotten anything sent to me from a vendor before. I thought it might be documents to forward to my mother or a new catalog that they accidentally shipped to me instead of the purchasing department manager.

When I opened the package I found this:
Evaswordcover_zps4c71a7a4.jpg

Now if you're not familiar, Evangelion is a extremely famous Japanese cartoon/comic that has an ever growing and hardcore fan base.

page_zps7b775aba.jpg

It was a book of Evangelion weapons turned into Japanese katanas by real Japanese katana craftsmen.

Doubting my eyes, I had to turn to my coworker and confirm that I wasn't hallucinating... :shocked:
Although I've never seen it or know much about the series, a few of my coworkers were very excited when I showed them.

I don't know how many of you on the forum like Japanese cartoons, but I thought it was amazing and really fun. I was so happy that our vendor sent it to me (via EMS even). Such a thoughtful gift, but I have no idea how they knew my secret (but not so secret anymore) hobbies. lolol

Anyways thanks for reading. Just wanted to share. :)

That looks like fun, great, I just might get into this cartoon now if it comes with subtitles...who knows, anything mentioned on this website ends up at my house one way or another lol. Mari everyone loves your catalogs BTW!

I was addicted to Neon Genesis a few years ago. I predict a relapse in the near future...

I'm glad to see some fan here. :)
Its so old but there is such a big fan base that they keep making movies and stuff. Pretty cool stuff. I need to sit down and watch it.

I remember watching part of it as a teenager. The abridged is hilarious.
[video=youtube;VJnureuZ6Ts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJnureuZ6Ts[/video]

I'm not much of an anime fan, but Evangelion is fascinating on both a story and cultural level. I'd heard of these katanas being displayed in a traveling exhibit. I think it speaks to the cultural relevance that Evangelion still has.

I'm not much of an anime fan, but Evangelion is fascinating on both a story and cultural level. I'd heard of these katanas being displayed in a traveling exhibit. I think it speaks to the cultural relevance that Evangelion still has.

Oh I didn't realize they have them on display. I wonder if they would still be around next year. I'd be curious to see it.

For more similarly nerdy stuff, you should check out Man At Arms Mari, I saw a video linked to youtube off of this site. The guy makes weapons from tv shows, movies and videogames into full sized weapons, I got stuck on his youtube video loop one night, was pretty cool, and sort of similar to this.

For more similarly nerdy stuff, you should check out Man At Arms Mari, I saw a video linked to youtube off of this site. The guy makes weapons from tv shows, movies and videogames into full sized weapons, I got stuck on his youtube video loop one night, was pretty cool, and sort of similar to this.

So~ I spent most of last night watching that channel after you recommended it. lol Its was so cool. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back