The Thin Man

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
I know my site is a bit thin right now (more like anorexic), but I have about 60 pieces being delivered today from K&G. It's an interesting mix of species that include Spalted Maple and River Birch, Madrone Burl, Lace Ramon Burl, White Teak Burl, some amazing Amboyna, some more Chechen, Maple Burl and a couple of pieces of Buckeye Burl. I'll be working diligently through the weekend to get these pieces cleaned up and finished with a goal of getting them up on the site by the middle of next week. I'll post some pictures when they come in. Thanks for your patience.

Myron, how do you think the stabilized amboyna finishes up compared to natural?

Be well,
Mikey

Myron, how do you think the stabilized amboyna finishes up compared to natural?

Be well,
Mikey

Mike,

For me they are pretty close. Obviously the stabilized ones are heavier, but when it comes to a finish I think they both take them well. I know a lot of people talk about the "plastic" feeling of stabilized wood compared to natural, but with a finish of oil or wax or both I think they're about the same. I happen to like the smoothness I can get with a 240 grit on a stabilized piece. Most makers go even higher than that. As with most things, it boils down to personal preference.

Back