Quantcast
A tough decision to make
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A tough decision to make

A tough decision to make

Okay so it rains it pours, in good ways and in bad.
    Many of you know that I have been offered a job in New York working for Thomas Keller. However I got a surprise phone call, a restaurant here on long island is very interested in giving me the executive chef position. It's a well established restaurant with a great reputation owned by a reputable restaurant group. So here are the pros:

Long Island restaurant:
    Pros:
    •I don't know for sure yet but it's safe to say at least $20,000 more year, could be as much as 50k more?
    •The restaurant falls more in my comfort zone, It's running a familiar type of restaurant in a demographic/location I'm familiar with.
    •with either job I will most likely half to move, this would be an easier and less expensive move.
    •More creative freedom.
    •More prestigious title

NYC Pros:
    •larger company with a impeccable reputation.
    •more prestigious company
    •opportunity to learn more
    •possibly has more room for growth, not sure?
    •Resume builder, however at this stage of my career I'm not sure how important this is?
    •moving to the city does have its appeal. Even knowing it would be more expensive and a harder move I have always kind of wanted to do it.

If money was not a factor I would take the city job without a 2nd thought. However I want to make the smart decision here and not just run off and move to the city because I think it would be cool/fun to "live the city life"

A lot of thinking to do here and not a lot of time to do it. You guys are always an insightful bunch and have helped me make more then one hard decisions In my life, so let's here your thoughts.
    Thanks
    Colin

That is a damn tough decision, I don't know if I could turn down an offer from Thomas Keller!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I don't know how you could say no to Thomas Keller and the city if its 20more a year but for 50 I think it makes it alittle easier. I'm at the point in my career I want quality of life. But it's gonna be hard to turn down Keller. Maybe impossible. Good luck

It will be slightly easier to decide when you can confirm exactly how much more the LI offer is. I imagine the cost of living might be a factor, as well as time commitment. It's great to have they talent to get these kind of options. I look forward to supporting you wherever you choose.

The other consideration is no job is ever a guarantee. That said it would be easier and quicker to find a new job in the city if I was already living there. But I don't really want to use this as one of the considerations because I don't want to think negative like that.

Are Keller's people waiting for an answer right now?

NYC more sexy but having creative freedom can be the difference of being a job vs being a passion. Also, how is the supporting cast?

A guy I worked with that had spent a few solid years at the Laundry in the early days had very positive things to say about the company. I can't speak to how the company has grown in the intervening years but after a few drinks he wouldn't shut up about it. It really became annoying how much he talked about working there.

Jobs like the Long Island gig will always be there. And having Keller on your résumé will probably cement that for life. Without knowing exactly what is going on in your personal or financial life, it seems from what I have gathered here at KKF over the last year that if ever there was a time to take a step down in rank and live the NYC life it is probably now.

I am not sure that your knife collection will fit in a Manhatten apartment though.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Jobs like the Long Island gig will always be there. And having Keller on your résumé will probably cement that for life. Without knowing exactly what is going on in your personal or financial life, it seems from what I have gathered here at KKF over the last year that if ever there was a time to take a step down in rank and live the NYC life it is probably now.
    This sounds like awfully good advice to me.

I wouldn't make Keller wait too long if the offer is on the table.

And this might be the sexiest kitchen in the country right?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford