chosera users, whats your progression?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have a chosera 400 that i love, and i wouldnt mind picking up another stone from chosera, which other stones do they make that you guys really like? im not looking for something to follow the 400 per se, just curious about chosera progressions and users favorite chosera stones.

I use a 400 or 600 if I need to but usually start with 1k. Then go to 3 or 5k depending on what I'm going for.

400/1k/3k/5k/ss10k
choosing between them depending on the SPA needed.

I have the 400, 800, 2k and 5k. Please note the Chosera grits do not correspond exactly to the JIS table, they are a little finer in reality.
The 800 is the most versatile stone I know. I may use it for thinning basic carbon, and as a one and only with soft stainless. As for the jump from 800 to 5k: I get much better results with the 2k in between. After the 2k just a very little work is left, if any.

400, 1000, 3000. The 3000 is the one I wouldn't want to live without. Great feel, great feedback, good refinement with nice bite. For double bevels, if you want an aggressive edge, it's a great finisher. If you want a more polished edge, it's a great pre-finisher. For stainless in particular, it's a perfect endpoint.

I have the 1k, 3k, 5k Chosera stones. All are great, the 3k is one of my favorite stones, I will often finish there for double bevels. Progression really depends on what I want to achieve, I will go through the entire line up, removing all previous scratches, to set up a new single-bevel knife, followed by my Red Aoto and Takashima Awasedo, which leaves a nice kasumi; for a quick resharpening of a gyuto I may use only the 3k.

1k gets and deserves the most love imo

ditto

Sounds like a 1k and 3k would round out your set nicely. For me, the 1k and 10k are best in series, closely followed by the 3k. The 400 and 5k seem just okay to me.

I used Choseras for a long time and played with many combos and came to like...

Double bevels - 400x, 1k, 3k

Single bevels - 400x, 1k, 5k, 10k (you need other stones to make the bevel look pretty though, these are just shiners)

The 3k seems to be the highest point I could go before losing bite and this worked out nice because the 3k adds some crispy edge biteability.

I found that the 10k didn't do much of anything if you didn't use the 5k beforehand.

One important tip - when purchasing Choseras - don't buy baseless unless you have a way to mount them to a base or you prefer cracked broken stones. The 5k & 10k are the worst of the bunch but I've heard of at least one of every stone except 800x breaking. You've been warned!

Here's the part numbers for the original Chosera line that came with stands...

[h=3]CHOSERA[/h]
Model No.SizeGrit No.Note
SS-400210x70x25#400With Stand
SS-600210x70x25#600With Stand
SS-800210x70x25#800With Stand
SS-1000210x70x25#1000With Stand
SS-2000210x70x25#2000With Stand
SS-3000210x70x25#3000With Stand
SS-5000210x70x25#5000With Stand
210x70x30#10000With Stand

ditto

Sounds like a 1k and 3k would round out your set nicely. For me, the 1k and 10k are best in series, closely followed by the 3k. The 400 and 5k seem just okay to me.
the 400 isnt the fastest cutter, and isnt really good for thinning,but the feedback and overall ease of use is why i like it. smoothest stone ive ever used under 600 grit. and its not thirsty at all.

so who do you guys like buying chosera from? theres the obvious, and i avoid him. i dont think any vendors here carry chosera currently,but i could be wrong. whos worth supporting or is the cheapest? lol

so who do you guys like buying chosera from? theres the obvious, and i avoid him. i dont think any vendors here carry chosera currently,but i could be wrong. whos worth supporting or is the cheapest? lol
paulsfinest.com carry some
And there are bunch seller on ebay that do so too

Just curious for the guys that ended with 3k (like dave martell) for double bevels, did you strop on anything after or was the 3k chosera the last thing you did? (minus any sort of light deburring strokes on a hard felt or through a bit of cork)

The 3k Chosera is a great stopping point for double bevel knives but I still strop regardless, almost always do, just to rid the edge of burrs if nothing else.

Strop on plain leather or something loaded with a diamond paste or spray?

Back