Quantcast
Wooden kitchen utensils - What do you use/like? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wooden kitchen utensils - What do you use/like?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    wooden utensils are a must if you use tinned copper pots and pans. i like berard olive wood spoons and spatulas.
    I have several different gerard utensils and love them. Get three spoons in different lengths (10", 12", and 14"). The pointed spoon might be nice too.

With that said, I am not sure they will last a lifetime. I've snapped one making a dough, chopped one in a vitamin, and set another one on fire. I use them every time I cook.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

now want a spurtle.......*sigh*......$$$

I would not know what to do without my wooden spoons and spatulas. I have a couple of wooden spoons that I have had for so long the spoon portion has developed a 45 degree angled tip like some spatulas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I have several different gerard utensils and love them. Get three spoons in different lengths (10", 12", and 14"). The pointed spoon might be nice too.

With that said, I am not sure they will last a lifetime. I've snapped one making a dough, chopped one in a vitamin, and set another one on fire. I use them every time I cook.

k.
    Just FYI, meant 'Berard' not gerard and Vitamix not vitamin.

Also that spurtle looks cool. I didn't see that part of the thread.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

@Erilyn75: thanks for posting the pics and sources. Gives me good ideas on what I want!

This thread need more pcitures
    Here's a picture of a ladle I am very tempted to get

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

k.
    The flat edged/pointed spoon is what I use the most. I wouldn't rely on any wooden tool to last a life time, if it actually gets used, but they are cheap enough for it to not matter. I also use mine every time I cook, just about, and I've also set one on fire, when it slipped, un-noticed, close to a burner. I scraped off the char and still use that spoon.

The spurtle is pretty great. It's the most used tool in my kitchen other than my knife. I even got my little ones their very own mini spurtles so they can help in the kitchen. My 2.5 year old already uses his to help stir batters. There are 3 different makers, each differently designed. My new one should be arriving within the next few days so ill have to post a pic when I get it.

I have quite a few only because I want to make sure I have them because you never know if the craftsman passed down his art to another to continue making them. I did the same with Nigella Lawson's mini whisks too, another favorite tool. Glad I did because you can't find them anymore.

I'm sure spurtles are efficient tools but apart from that I appreciate how gorgeous they are in a sculptural way.

Just looked it up online and the spurtle is listed as a Scots kitchen tool dating from the 15th Century. Och aye!

Huh, I've been using a (bamboo, I think) thing for a while that I really like, but have always called a spatula. It's not that different in shape from a spurtle, but it has holes in it which I suppose is so things don't stick or something, but mostly they just get clogged with food and are a pain to clean.

Anywho, now I have two spurtles on order from that etsy link. 27.10 each isn't so bad for something hand made.

aye, spurtles are great for making oatmeal. Just remember stirring clockwise, counterclockwise invites the devil into your home. Or something of that sort. I always make some sort of joke to my chef when I take over the risotto and finish it to the plate, (we are both of scottish heritage, and he is a lefty, I'm a righty, so he stirs counterclockwise). That Berard ladle is beautiful, would match my berard spoon/spatulas nicely.