Turkey carving, technique and knife choice question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetbn

Reaction score
Last year I took the drumsticks and thighs off the turkey first with a 150mm Honesuki, then made big slices of the breast while it was still on the bird with a 270mm Suji. This year I think I want to remove the breasts first so I can make smaller slices across the grain. I think the across the grain slices will seem more tender, and every piece will have a little skin on it too. I'm wondering what knife to use to remove the breast though. I am thinking the Honesuki, but think it might be a bit small. This is the one time I wish I had a Garisuke. Thoughts?

Joe, I know its very common to remove the breast and cut the meat against the grain, but I don't go for it. I think when you slice off the turkey breast parallel with the bone, the meat has better texture and mouth feel. When I eat breast that are cut across the grain, the meat falls appart when chewed. I would suggest removing the wishbone before cooking and carving. This will also allow you to get nice long slices of breast. :my2cents:

I agree with Mucho on that one. I did it across the grain a couple of weeks ago and it seemed drier than the Turkey actually was. The other side I did lengthwise and was much happier. If you want to take it off the bone, I think the honesuki will get the job done. I used my masamoto 240 ks with no problems. Next time I may try the Shig miroshi Deba though (shhhh...don't tell jon)

If you take the wishbone out before cooking it makes it very easy to take off the cooked breast. Then slice against the grain.

I go thru the joints wt. a boning knife.Slice breast & thighs wt 1800's stag handle thin carbon carving blade.

I've been looking forward to this Thanksgiving. In previous years I've gotten away from carving at table and went for speed to get it on the platter. This year will be doing the more traditional "Hallmark" bird. With new toys. Mike Henry made them pretty.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55001407/Temp Share/2013-11-24 10.52.43.jpg

2013-11-24 11.00.21.jpg

depends on how many you have to do. last year i did 4 birds for a large group. Remove the legs, wings, and slice up. remove the breasts and set aside, and cover in foil.

As people serve up, slice the breasts, as needed. this keeps them much juicer than pre-cutting.

I have decided to go with my 240mm Nenox gyuto this year. Actually a fairly narrow blade so it works fine as a traditional slicer. I cut parallel to the breast bone too.

I used my Takeo Murata 210mm kuro uchi wa-gyuto as a slicer, parallel as well - worked beautifully!

Back