Takeda Gyuto 240 vs?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainman

Reaction score
I posted another thread last week when I was starting to look for my first really nice Gyuto. You guys were awesome in helping me. I almost went for the HHH prebuy (It sounds like a awesome knife!) but, after doing some more research I've decided that I'd really like a Japanese Carbon 240 Gyuto. It seems my style. A few of my friends already call me the "secret asian man" lol, (I study Zen and Taoism and do Japanese and Chinese tea Ceremony), so I might as well go all out! I don't mind the extra maintenance with the carbon blade since I'm just a home cook.

My budget is around $300 and I really like the look of the Takeda 240. It has so many good reviews and I'm really interested in the Aogami Super steel. I was about to go ahead and order one but, I'm wondering if there are any other knives that are similar that I should be looking at? Is the Takeda worth the price? Thanks!

I'm assuming the look you like is the KU finish. In that case I would consider the new Kochi line from JKI. It has the rustic finish you like, but is stainless clad carbon (Tekeda offers this as well in his newer line)

Here is a link with photos of these knives... (Not trying to change your mind on the Takeda, just giving you options)

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ies-from-Kochi-Kurouchi-Stainless-Clad-Carbon

+1 on the Kochi. I have both Takeda and Kochi in 240 and love them both. Just buy one, they're both great. I'd stick to 240 mm. Use it for a year and really get to know that knife. Before you know it, you'll have bought and sold a dozen, or two, or three...? Confessions of a foolish tool lover. FWIW, after 5 years of buying, trying, and selling I tend to favor the Takagi honyaki that I bought used and thinned by hand (12 hours +), a Carter 225 KU, and the Takeda. Oh yeah, and the Shig. ***. Don't make me do a Sophie's Choice...

I really appreciate the input! The Kochi does look really nice. I wonder how it's steel compares in quality to the Takeda AS? Also regardless of the maker I'm still trying to figure out if I should get stainless cladding or just go for the original full carbon. I don't mind the extra maintenance but, I'm wondering if the reactivity with foods would be a big deal or not. Even though I'm just a home cook, I strive for perfection in every meal I make. I'm hoping I'll find a great knife that makes me smile every time I cook.

Thanks for warning me Phip :) I could see how this gets addictive! I'll try my best to really get to know one great knife first. If you saw my guitar and amp collection you might guess that I wont last too long :laugh: But, I guess that's the fun of it.

i wish i was a home cook,lol. i would certainly only use carbon if that was the case. as long as you clean your blade and wipe it dry as you go youll be fine. whenever blemishes on carbon become a too much to stand, just scrub away with bar keepers friend(cleanser). but if you do get a knife with kurouchi finish be careful not to scrub the kurouchi, it can be removed almost too easily sometimes.

Don't buy the takeda get something thinner.

I've owned a Takeda and it is a very nice knife. The newer grind is a bit strange though and has been covered recently in another thread. May need some work out of the box to make it cut great, but very nice knife overall. Definitely takes a wicked edge. Personally I would go with the Kochi (I owned the V-2 Kurouchi)--I'm not familiar with the new stainless clad ones, but the originals are very nice knives and the kurouchi is very different (better to me) than the Takeda. As LOL said, if you are a home cook you will have no trouble with carbon--especially once you get a bit of patina; I'm a home cook and that's all I use.

Cheers

Thanks for all the input! Right now the Kochi is looking really nice. I emailed Jon about it and he's been super helpful.

Also, I found a Asai made Gyuto with Aogami super that looks really nice too. Does anyone have any experience with this knife? There was a damacus SG-2 knife that looks sweet from him too but, it's out of my budget....

Like you Mountainman, I'm pretty new to the scene, having joined just a couple of days ago to get help buying my first real Japanese knife. This community really is fantastic by the way! I've been researching about knives like crazy, for an almost shameful amount of times in the last week. At one point, my wife was like : what the hell is happening with you, is it turning to an obsession? Boy she's right it is. And you guys are absolutely not helping the matter :p

Anyway, I have absolutely no experience with it and can't speak for or against it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but another option in the Takeda AS style would be the Masakage Koishi 240. From what I gather, like the Koshi, it is a KU finish with an SS clad. That could be another interesting option... Maybe someone with a little bit more knowledge can shime about the quality of the knife.

By the way, I just ordered today its Shirogami #2 little brother, the Masakage Yuki Gyuto 240. I can't wait to get it!

Back