Quantcast
Gesshin Heiji or Kato Work Horse
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gesshin Heiji or Kato Work Horse

Gesshin Heiji or Kato Work Horse

Trying to decide what I want for Christmas and I would love your thoughts and opinions. What would you choose and why, Kato or Heiji?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Pete, you've probably been real good this year, why not one of each?

I'd choose kato just based on this thread - http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Release-Videos

kato, yoshikane, and DT all had a nice balance of food release and smooth sounding cuts; heiji had great release, but sounded a bit crunchy.

if you choose kato, be careful. it can chip if you get too rough with it. the only reason i mention this is because youre saying youre looking for a work horse. sometimes we can have very different defintions of what a workhorse is.

The Kato westerns are a bit thinner at the spine, but cut just as well as the Wa gyuto's and the white ebony handled one is a beauty! ( I have a Kikuryu which is the fancy version) I also have a Gesshin Heiji, I don't think you can go wrong with either, I enjoy polishing the wide bevels of the Heiji on Natural stones. Flip a coin
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Two knives I love. They both are great hefty cutters, I find the Kato cuts a little better. The Heiji is great but there are some items it doesn't agree with. The Kato is a better cutter across the board. For me it comes down to your stance on reactivity. If you don't like Shige levels of reactivity, get the SS Heiji. If caring for some rust now and then doesn't bother you, get the Kato.

One other thing is the Heiji (from Jon anyway) comes with a saya.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

are you interested in a heiji carbon or semi stainless? i must say i prefer the qualities of katos steel over heiji carbon. kato has nicer retention, atleast in my experience it does.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    are you interested in a heiji carbon or semi stainless? i must say i prefer the qualities of katos steel over heiji carbon. kato has nicer retention, atleast in my experience it does.
    I have the semi stainless core (stainless clad) Heiji and the edge retention is fantastic, better than Kato. Never used a carbon Heiji.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks for your insight guys. I was looking at the Semi-Stainless Heiji and the term "work horse" was used because that is what the Kato is called from maxim. Thanks for posting a link to the knife videos, I completely forgot out that thread… watching it again now.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I went through the same decision a month ago and picked Heiji for the following reasons:

The geometry of the kato seemed harder to maintain in the long run. The convexed geometry seemed like it would not only but harder to sharpen correctly but would require thinning more often and a higher level of skill it to.

I love my shigefusa and was interested in the connection between them both studying under the same master.

I also wanted a SS knife to use on more acidic foods since all my other gyutos are simple carbon.

+ Reply to Thread