Quantcast
Gesshin Heiji or Kato Work Horse - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gesshin Heiji or Kato Work Horse

Currently trying to make the same decision between a Kato or Heiji workhorse, and I think I will go Heiji for exactly bk's reasons.. I don't think I'm competent enough to look after Kato's geometry properly right now and my current knives are carbon (What level of reactivity is the Kato comparable to? Blue super? white 2?).

Having said that, for me at least, the Kato has a VERY special appeal. Don't know why but it seems to have a mysterious allure to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oui Chef View Post
    Currently trying to make the same decision between a Kato or Heiji workhorse, and I think I will go Heiji for exactly bk's reasons.. I don't think I'm competent enough to look after Kato's geometry properly right now and my current knives are carbon (What level of reactivity is the Kato comparable to? Blue super? white 2?).

Having said that, for me at least, the Kato has a VERY special appeal. Don't know why but it seems to have a mysterious allure to it.
    It's not the hagane (core steel) of the Kato that is reactive. It's the soft iron jigane (cladding) that is reactive. It is on the same order as the jigane of the Shigefusa.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    It's not the hagane (core steel) of the Kato that is reactive. It's the soft iron jigane (cladding) that is reactive. It is on the same order as the jigane of the Shigefusa.
    Of course. Haven't yet had the pleasure of handling a shig.. is the clad on par with white 2 or worse?

Of course. Haven't yet had the pleasure of handling a shig.. is the clad on par with white 2 or worse?
    Worse when it comes to reactivity.

Edit: this is based on my Shigefusa as I don't have and never used a kato

The soft iron is quite reactive compared to shirogami. It needs a good forced patina before it quiets down, at least in my experience. Ordinary use will do it too, but the journey is a PITA. I hate brown onions.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Rightio. Thanks for the information guys!

I thought confirming how reactive it was would help me stop wanting to grab a Kato so bad... WRONG!

i found that the cladding on kato and the kato grind to be very easy to thin actually. while im not sure if i maintained the factory geometry, kato should be much easier to thin compared to heiji(stainless cladding).

what i mean by the kato grind being easy to thin is that it seemed very easy to lay the blade on its side and apply even strokes compared to many other knives ive thinned. i wish couldve tried a heiji by now, i would be very interested in learning about the difference in performances first hand. i found shig cladding to be more reactive than kato cladding too, if that helps.

i never tried a kato(but i think thats gonna be my christmas gift) but the heiji semi stainless steel is great. edge retention, sharpening. When i first picked it up it felt a bit awkeward but then i started cutting and it blew my mind. Its hard to explain but its definitely something special

I think the Kato would be easier to thin in terms of time. Heiji makes it clear how far up the thinning has to go. With The Kato as soon as you can get over how far up the blade the scratches need to extend when thinning it becomes pretty straight forward because the grind is very consistent along the entire blade face.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

+ Reply to Thread