What's your largest?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have three gyutou and one sujihiki that are 300mm. I find the large gyutou are quite handy, although I don't regularly carry them in my work kit, I do occasionally throw them in for a week or two. My questions: Who likes a larger blade? What's your largest? Do you use it regularly and for what? Would you like an even larger blade?

I have an old school Hiromoto HC 300 which was my first grande blade. Light, fast, and takes a wicked edge. A real work horse. Also have a Tojiro PM 300. Did have to tune it up a bit. A bit beefier, but equally handy. Can't tell you how long it's been since it's needed more than the occasional stropping session. Also picked up a Hiromoto AS 300 wa not too long ago. Really like that one. Has a bit more heft than I typically reach for, but just such a pleasure. I also have a Hiromoto AS 300 yo suji. Awesome cutter. Can't complain...

I occasionally yearn for a slightly larger blade. If they were still cheap as dirt, I'd have a hard time not picking up a Tojiro 330 just for giggles. Brandon used to have a 360 Misono Swedish which seemed like it might be fun.

Realistically, a 300 is probably as big as I'd find useful in day to day at work, but there are those moments... Besides, if you don't try it, you don't know if you'd like it, right???

hey, If you ever want to get rid of the Hiro HC let me know been looking for a 300mm, 270mm and 210mm love this knife.

oh, My largest was a 16inch (406mm) bladed Pre-Sabatier from around 1860.

Those Hiros are hard to beat. Bought a 270 on the basis of my experience with the 300. Even though they aren't really in regular rotation any more, I still keep them at home and use them. They have such a great quality to them, I'd be hard pressed to part with them. I have occasionally considered it but I have such an affinity for them I've never been able to pull the trigger. Honestly, I think they were the first knives that REALLY cemented Japanese blades for me. The steel, although somewhat pedestrian by the broader standards of the folks here, just kills most of what's out there and definitely outperforms anything you can pick up in the regular world. The grind, although not wicked thin, is more than thin enough to get things done with very little effort. They're feathery without giving you that "oh no I need to baby this one" feeling. All said, a wonderfully delightful combination. Knives that I can't honestly say weren't and aren't a joy to use and somewhat inspiring every time I pick them up. Hard to beat that for their relatively modest price tag. I wish they were still being made. If they were and I could get my hands on a 330 or 360, I'm sure I'd be very happy indeed.

Worked butcher a while had couple large blades.For carving Steamship rounds used a 12" Forschner Graton edge slicer.Largest Gyuto 270mm.

At home now use Suien VC cleaver quite a bit.It is a good size tall,takes a sharp edge & holds it well.

I use 270mm gyuto and 300mm suji and they work perfectly for me. Curious as to how a 300mm gyuto would feel and interested in trying a 360 suji, for their 'one slice' capabilities

I had a 14" (355mm) chef's knife--it was too big. I prefer 240-280 in a chef's.

My Zombie killers
12" Sab
270 Kochi
Wood shed salvage project

Picture+002.jpg

Probably a 12" vintage Sab. Only used it at work a few times. It's a beautiful knife just too big, but I really bought it for what it is, not for practicality. Either that or a vintage chuka I traded Son for, think it's about 24x11 and weighs around the 800g mark. Use it every now and again, takes a screaming edge. Surprisingly well made, just wish I knew who made it.

Cheers,
Josh

A 12" K-Sabatier is my overall largest, 14" Victorinox bread knife is long but thin. I would like a couple of knives in the 360+ range, just for fun.

CCK KF 2208 butcher knife 33-34 cm long. I don't even know why I got it, never used it. On occasion I'll take it out from the box, wave it around pretending I'm slaying a dragon and saving a damsel in distress, then put it back in. Nice to be 8 years old again with a real knife this time... I'm just waiting for the unlucky thief to break into my house while this thing is in my hands.

My largest is my just 210 Tanaka R2 - as a home cook I have rarely the feel that I would need a bigger knife.

For carving Steamship rounds used a 12" Forschner Graton edge slicer.

Keith I wonder if many today know what a steamship round is? You sure don't see that very often any more. In the past I used exactly the same knife for the task.
My longest at home now is a 12" Wide heavy Wusthof. AKA The shelll crusher for those South African Lobstah tails.

Dave

Curious as to how a 300mm gyuto would feel and interested in trying a 360 suji, for their 'one slice' capabilities

I've never bought into the "longer is better" mantra for slicers for a few reasons. The length needs to be comfortable relative to your arm length when drawing. There is a point where long is too long. Even most butchers I know use an 8-10" knife for portioning large cuts...

Even when slicing with my 10" slicer I made the observation that mostly 2/3 of the knife has patina because I never use the full length of the blade but rather the first 2/3s from the tip.

There are theoretical advantages to using 300mm+ lengths and I'm sure some real world advantages too, but they definitely don't translate on the cutting board for me, personally.

I like 240-270mm best with a slight preference for the 270mm. Any longer and it begins to lose its strengths IMO.

I use the 270 masamoto ks and enjoy it, I dont know if there would be any point going larger- I can barely get it into my bag! I also have a 330 yanagiba but I never use it. It's just there

330 konosuke sakimaru takobiki. And an old dexter 12".

Keith I wonder if many today know what a steamship round is? You sure don't see that very often any more. In the past I used exactly the same knife for the task.
My longest at home now is a 12" Wide heavy Wusthof. AKA The shelll crusher for those South African Lobstah tails.

Dave

Yeh Dave Sheraton Waikiki had huge banquets both sit down dinners & buffets.That was my first large Hotel job.We had steamships at the end of the double line buffet tables.Large parties had two DL tables,2 steamships & an Ice Carving on each table.

When I scored the Kahala Hilton job in 1982,all over the kitchen at first including carving.We would carve stand up prime ribs on the bone.

Just went to a retirement party for one of my co-workers last night.Philippino's good fun drinking beer wt. guys I've known for years,singing,barefoot ladies & guys on stage ethnic dance to hip hop.Alot of fun.Funny as heck MC.

The chef was carving a whole Pig.

I had a Hiro HC 300 for a while but I am not man enough for it, and as a lowly home cook I never reached for it. My Watanabe 270 can handle everything large I can think of. Although, I think I have one of these 360mm water melon knives somewhere, gotta look what happened to that during the last move... And I think the fuguhiki I am rehandling ATM is 330mm.

Stefan

Does that brand of .45 ACP feed well for you Jason? I tried the 9mm and nothing but stove pipes.

Dave

Back