Sand clean : So much better than steel wool.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Now as much as I hate pushing products on people and try my best not to, Sand Clean is hands down my most frequently purchased product at Korin. Why? Because my family likes to grill fish in the toaster oven, which means if I don't want my toast with jam to taste fishy, I have to clean it. I also burn things.

Sand clean is a safer and less abrasive alternative to steel wool and it is made out of cotton and sand. You can use it with very little or no detergent to scrub dishes, pots & pans, stove tops, grills, broiling pans, ovens, sinks, bathtubs, kitchen or bathroom tile.

Qualities of Sandclean Scrubber

• The Sandclean scrubber is biodegradable and environmentally friendly.
  • More durable and versatile product than steel wire scrubbers.
  • Can be used in the kitchen or bathroom on equipment, pots and pans.
  • Safe to use on food. The scrubbers can be used to clean dirt off of potatoes or carrots.
  • It does not rust or hurt your hands.
  • Cut the scrubber into smaller pieces for different uses and sizes.

[video=youtube_share;ktDjmuHgIWk]http://youtu.be/ktDjmuHgIWk[/video]

I recommend the fine grit for cleaning vegetables or tea/coffee stains on cups and teapots. I always use the medium to clean burned areas on my pots and pans. (The burned pan in the video is mine. I had a very clean pan by the end of this video.) The rough grit is VERY rough so I think it is better for commercial kitchens than the medium grit.

This product is particularly popular around this time of year because everyone is bracing themselves for the holidays and the holiday clean up.

Sand Clean - Fine Grit $5.50
Sand Clean - Medium Grit $5.80
Sand Clean - Rough Grit $6.95

Thanks for reading!

Might have to try this, I'm a steel wool junkie.

mari, cool but how long do they last? can you use detergent soap with them? Is the fine safe enough to use to clean off patina on a knife?

They will last for at least a month if you use the entire thing. You can keep using them after a month but I would replace them as often as you replace a sponge. You can keep using it, it just won't be sanitary to keep forever. Yes you can use detergent soap with it, just rinse it off afterwards.

I will ask Mr. Sugai if you can use the sand clean to clean off patina on a knife. We have never tried. I can't see why not though.

Thajks mari!!

I asked Vincent (sharpener) because Mr. Sugai is in Japan right now, but he said that it would scratch up your knife since its not that fine. I could mail you a really small sample strand if you're interested in how rough it is?

Thanks Mari, Thanks for the offer, generous as always, I'll probably drop in an order but might be in NYC for business in Janurary and will definately be coming by. Is that new sharpening wheel working?

I've found Sand clean is great for woodworking, I use the fine grit for cleaning/polishing wood before apply Tru-Oil & between coat.

Thanks Mari, Thanks for the offer, generous as always, I'll probably drop in an order but might be in NYC for business in Janurary and will definately be coming by. Is that new sharpening wheel working?

Oh okay. No thank you for your interest. I haven't seen the sharpening wheel in action yet, so we are still waiting. Awesome! Please stop by and say hi. :)

This is one product I can't do without! With or without soap it makes short work of baked/carbonized material on pots and pans. Excels on hotel/steam table pans. And last quite a while. Can't remember when Korin first got them in. Has to be at least 10 yrs!

Oui Chef! Not a problem doesn't clog up like curly cakes (stainless steel sponges). Pop it in the sani bucket every now and then and you're good to go

This is one product I can't do without! With or without soap it makes short work of baked/carbonized material on pots and pans. Excels on hotel/steam table pans. And last quite a while. Can't remember when Korin first got them in. Has to be at least 10 yrs!

I'm so glad to hear its working out for you! Since we made the packaging under Korin and sell it straight instead of curled, the price went down on them too. (By the way, it still curls but you have to wet it and bunch it up yourself. Still works exactly the same.) Yes, we have had it for a while, but it is still one of my favorite and most recommended products.
:D

Mari-san, will it pass NYC Health Department inspection?

Yes, it will pass the NYC health department inspection. Since its clothe, you can also put it in the sanitizer bucket like chefpaulm mentioned. :)

Back