Next in the lineup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrismit29

Reaction score
Hi all, been reading the forum for a while but first post. I'm looking for a new knife to compliment what I have. Little info about me, home cook, right handed, prefer wa handled, sharpen on stones but still pretty new. Primarily cook veggies and pre cut meat and cook for a family of 5 every night. My knives are as follows
Mac Pro 9.5
Kono hh 240
Cck small cleaver
150mm Fujiwara nashiji
Victorinox boning knife

I prefer push cut or chop. Not sure what I'm looking for exactly. I'm considering carbon knife nakiri or heavier gyuto. I love the way the Fujiwara sharpens. I'm drawn to the kochi migaki gyuto for its profile and appears to have a little more weight behind it. Any thoughts on this knife? What are people's thoughts on a nakiri? Is this going to be pretty similar to the cck? I like the ability to scoop veggies when I'm cooking Asian with the cck. Maybe I don't even need a new knife but I want one.

First off welcome!

IMO, get a Nakiri. I use mine daily at work. They are like nimble and light cleavers appropriate for veg. You have another option too, you mentioned that you prefer to push cut so you could try your hands at a kiritsuke?

I'd get sujihiki, I'd be lost without mine.

Budget would be about 300 for the right knife. I thought about a sujihiki but I just don't know if I would get enough use out of it. I like to use all my knives and I do on a pretty regular basis. This knife is more about the enjoyment. The nakiri interests me because I'd say 80 percent of my prep is veggies just don't really know much about the style. Never held or used a nakiri

Back