Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unstabilized Ho Wood Handle Care?

Interesting and valid points dmcurtis, franzb69, and panda. And I agree, ultimately handles should be utilitarian. That being said I'm using my knives at home, not in a super intensive work environment, and IMHO the pinch grip minimizes slippery handle issues. I'll see how the handles on my SS Heiji's are when they get here in February, but I definitely have a preference towards the more finished end of the spectrum. If they are very rough, I may consider doing some work on them.
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

I read somewhere about someone soaking their ho wood handle in mineral oil for about a week. It appeared to darken the wood a bit and bring out a bit more grain, which I am not opposed to. At this point I'm just considering options, but is a one week soak overkill or otherwise a bad thing to do?
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

i soaked mine for a couple of days. i haven't had to soak it again in a matter of months. but with the number of knives we knifeknuts have, it's not like we can get to use them all, all the time.

hasn't given me trouble when it comes to grip, even after the soaking.

i don't mind pretty shiny handles, if you're not working on stuff for long hours at a time and not having an overly wet environment, makes handles slippery.

there's a reason why wa handles are also not glued on, coz some pro kitchen peeps actually take off their ho wood handles so they can let the wood dry out and not rust out the tang. then they just put them back on again.

… and when you get bored with oiling plain handles, there are an army of talented makers here who would make and awesome handle for you

the only thing that i don't like about naked ho wood is that when you're working on something that leaves a stain, it'll be next to impossible to remove that stain. it's like patina on your blade but you can't buff it out. lol. or when you're sharpening your knife and some particulates are left, it sticks to your handle. sure you can wash some of it off, but you can never wash it all off. just like micarta.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i hate smooth handles, they should have texture, not shiny and pretty.
    Just like knives themselves, it's all personal preference.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Are the mineral oil and beeswax mixed together or applied in sequence?

Quote Originally Posted by ChefCosta View Post
    Are the mineral oil and beeswax mixed together or applied in sequence?
    They're mixed together, and then the mixture is applied. You can use commercially formulated mixtures (which can be bought at a home center like Lowe's or Home Depot), which are more typically used for conditioning cutting boards.

When I was blocking Ahi quarters for banquet sashimi platters.Fish would get on the Ho handle.End of shift would have to scrub handle.

Alot of good suggestions on this site.I like beeswax & mineral oil.Another option is 50/50 pure tung oil & bullseye clear shellac,you can buff it or leave it unbuffed for more grip.