Downsizing, Moving on, Letting Go, and Being Happy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure many of you have experience with major life changes, so feel free to chime in with pats on the back, encouragement, tales of woe or whatever...

My wife and I are making a move in life. She has reached burnout point in her job (she's a physician), which in turn has made me reach burnout point in what I do in life. Little imbalances eventually make big imbalances. Life sucks right now, and things need to change -- and family comes first.

So we are moving to Minneapolis in February, taking a 50% pay cut, going to work a lot less, and get by on a lot less. I may sell some knives or I may not. It doesn't matter. But I'm excited about downsizing, and thank the gods I have stock piled enough wine to last me a year and a half. Seriously, this is no time to stop drinking ;)

I'm actually really excited to get back to what matters most in life and simplify. We will also be putting in an offer on a house that looks as if a bunch of swingers used it for key parties 20 years ago, and are looking forward to fixing it up. I will also be closer to more knife knuts, which will also have advantages. But most importantly it is crucial to correct all those negatives in life that bring out the worst in people and yourself. It's not worth it.

I read in a book once that happiness is the intersection of pleasure and meaning -- and I kind of agree with that. And I'm pretty sure we are moving in the right direction. With that said, it will be interesting to see how this affects my knife habits into the future.

I figure a lot of you fine knife folk have been in similar situations at some point, so I just thought I would throw it out there. Things are getting better for me, and I am just now putting things in perspective.

Happy holidays, happy change.

karring

Best of luck to you K. It sounds like a good move to me.

K,

I always love your posts, your way with words and your ability to sift through the BS to find and explain the real meaning behind all of it. I'm glad you're doing this with your own life. Congrats on the big change; Sometimes a new perspective is all that is needed to see what is really important.

Lots of luck and best wishes for you and the miss' K. My wife And I decided the simpler the better several years ago. We have each other, a roof over our head, the bills are paid, but we have nothing lavish and are very happy. Don't know if that helps at all but there it is.

Good luck with it. Did a similar thing a year and a half ago and whilst it took a bit of adjusting to, everything is going well now and we're glad we made the move. Wish I'd stockpiled more wine though...

Family First!!!.....Being with your children at those precious moments is priceless!!!! Good Luck K

As long as you all are happy, that's what matters.

Sounds like a great move K! Money is overrated--except when you need a new knife or to re-stock the wine collection.

Cheers!

waitwaitwaithangonamoment. did i get this right? Leaving central MN, (that would be St. Cloud/Brainerd roughly?) to come down here? Well at least the bicycling here is good so you have a good chance of commuting and saving a ton on your cars as you downsize. Wish I could to that. You and the Mrs. can take up bicycling at least. I used to live in Brainerd, my wife is from Walker, and I dearly miss the country. Been down here since '79, never lived in Mpls, always in the subs except for West 7th St, west of Snelling.

Sorry to hear about burnout, hope the move works out for you both. I plan on doing the same in about 12 years once I can retire. I might have to ask for pointers at that time.

No doubt this is a good thing!
Maybe fewer late night knife purchases, but more time to sharpen the ones you have.
Once you get the swingers' old matreses cleared out of the garage, perhaps you can get that belt grinder into action.

I'm looking forward to having you, H, and the kids in the town next door.

The fact that you have the initiative to do this in the middle of what you're going through shows what you're made of. It sounds like you both have the will to find what you're looking for. Good luck on your adventure.

Grats for making such a move. It is easy to get caught up in the "rat race" and focus on money etc... and inadvertently lose sight of what really matters. Good for you, and I wish the best of luck to you and your family.

Thanks everyone. The family went and looked at the house again today, and my toddler loved it. Mirrors were everywhere. Check out the master bedroom picture below.

And though the family will be paring back and simplifying, I still feel we are lucky to have the resources to do this without really hard dislocation. I've been poor for much of my life, but having more means in the last handful of years does not bring necesarily bring happiness. It does, though, offer better wine (mc2442) without doubt.

And Justin is right on. I am pretty sure I will be doing more sharpening than buying knives for a while. Buying nice knives is definitely pleasurable, but doesn't provide much meaning at the end of the day unless it is a learning process (pensacola does it right I think). Sharpening knives or putting your own handle on provides both pleasure and meaning. That's the way to go. Then all I need to do is some pay-it-forward approach and one has an awesome Knyfenerd combo that somehow sets the cosmic tumblers back in just the right place and makes everyone smile :)

Anyhow, thanks for the support.

k.

masterbedroom.jpg

Where is the mirrored disco ball?
They have them on Amazon.
Might make a good house warming gift.
41Zcc65riQL.jpg

Just teasing you.
I went through the burn out thing back in '05.
Moved from the Seattle area down to SW Oregon for a much slower paced life.
Income is about 1/3 what it used to be but I am a lot happier now.
My wife even likes me now. (most of the time)

BTW: for some reason the song "Love Shack" keeps coming to mind.
[video=youtube_share;leohcvmf8kM]http://youtu.be/leohcvmf8kM[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
That room has an awesome shape you can do some really cool stuff with it.

Does it also have a jungle room? :)

Stefan

That place looks awesome!
Don't change a thing!
I hope the furniture comes with the purchase price!

Latest posts

Back