Quantcast
Japanese or North American - who makes a better knife? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese or North American - who makes a better knife?

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Just my opinion, but it matters what you prefer to use them for. Since I am a meat and potatoes guy, I will go for American made. I simply don't use japanese knives often because I don't prepare asian food much. Pretty simple to me.
    Are you saying you can't use American made knives to make Asian cuisine and Japanese knives for meat and potatoes?
    That's just crazy talk...

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    No, I am saying it's my preference to use them in the manner I prefer to use them for. I have a few j-gyuto's, notably Nenox's, that I use on a regular basis for meat and potatoes. I am all about the crossover; I used a konosuke to open a frozen vegetable package the other day.
    Jason

Gotcha..My bad..

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Mass market--Japan. Custom, America. There are a lot of steps in the knife making process a lot of Japanese shops and makers do sloppily or poorly because of tradition and cultural standards, like proper annealing, preventing overgrinds, handle fitment, drying woods, etc. The factory steel is better, I'll take Tojiro over Dexter Russel any day.

I agree with this 100%
    when it comes to the old saying "j- knives are better" I think that's people comparing misono, nenox ext. to Dexter and Chacogo cutlery. I think Americans lost there love/need for high end kitchen knives 70+ years ago. Still to this day we live in a disposable kitchen environment. If it were not for the "craze" in food brought on by food network and top chef I don't think high end let alone custom kitchen knives would be what they are today, some of you can remember the pickings 10-15 years ago?
    So IMHO American custom blade smiths are now and have been for a long time better then there Japanese counterparts, they just have not been making kitchen knives. American makers have spent the past few generations making hunting knives and tactical folders because that's what payed the bills. As far as kitchen knives go I don't have a single J-knife that can out preform the blades made by Bill, Bob, Butch, Michael, and Hoss and if it were not for the replaceable ease factor of my Nenox knives I would solely use knives by sad makers....well them and Heiji,why can't he just move to the US??
    PS F Dexter russell for destroying American cutlery, Lamson you suck too...and WF sucks infinity

From the knives I have seen, I prefer American, but I don't think we have seen the best that Japan has to offer. I doubt any of us other than Jon has seen the best customs from Japan. I know there are knives that Jon carries the he can not post on his web site or on this board because of his contractual obligations with the maker. I bet the top Japanese makers could care less about the American market because they have multi year waiting list in Japan just like Bob has here.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Colin - The best knife you ever had? (not bang for the bucks, just the best, without thinking price here)

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    and WF sucks infinity
    Effing yeah!!
    Jason

OD, I'm thinkin that hes gonna say his Burkes. Its funny that I swear by Nenox and Heiji as well. I sadly must say that I haven't used a knife by an American maker other than Murray yet but am patiently waiting to decide on what that would and will be. My only problem is that I can't afford a full blown custom ATM nor do I have the patience to wait a year + for one....

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Japanese or North American - who makes a better knife? Japanese !

So - My question - where do the best knives of the world come from - if you had $1000 to $1500 to buy the best knife you could for the money - who would make it?
    Some old guy in Japan !

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Colin - The best knife you ever had? (not bang for the bucks, just the best, without thinking price here)
    A question I can not answer. I'm still trying hard to decide. There are still a few knives I must get to make up my mind. Till then I can only give you my favorite, Burke Suji, must be the best suji made?