Some beef splitters and cleavers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been collecting vintage cleavers for a few years. Much to my wife's dismay I'm over 14, lost count. I just picked up another beef splitter but don't have a picture yet. I do have a few that I've reprofiled and thinned that see real kitchen use.

100_0299.jpg

100_0291.jpg

100_0274.jpg

100_0279.jpg

100_0275.jpg

100_0276.jpg

WOW that's insane! Nice collection

It all started when my son and I watched Bill the Butcher on Gangs of New York. I was fascinated with the big cleaver he used so we started the search for a cleaver.... went a little crazy after that :)

We could be best friends.....if you find a Beatty. #7 or 9 for me :doublethumbsup:

great pics of a wonderful collection ; some of those must have been used by the old timey butcher strong men.--cranky72

Crazy that many of them have hammer marks on the top of the blades. There must be some serious cutting and pounding to get through what they were cutting. I was just looking through a few (10) that I have hanging around the garage thinking about what I want to do with them. The three massive beef splitters are going in my home office on display :) The others are either getting sharpened and used or will have a re-handle early this year.

Hi Tom,

Ah ah! I thought those pixs of yours looked familiar. I am new member SixCats! (aka HARDBALL) at Blade Forums. I recently acquired a vintage NICHOLS BROS. Lamb Splitter to go with my Circa 1920's-30's NICHOLS BROS (Greenfield MA) "Beef Splitter" which is a whopping two and a half feet in OAL!
The cutting edge is ten inches and the blade is seven inches at it's widest point (front of blade) and twelve inches diagonal. The back spine of the blade at it's thickest point is almost unreal at a HALF INCH thick! The handle (metal with wood) is eighteen inch long. The overall condition of this awesome vintage "Beef Splitter" is quite good indeed. I hope to be able to post pixs in the future.

Regards,
SixCats!

Back