Quantcast
A tough decision to make - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A tough decision to make

I would go for the Keller job.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    This sounds like awfully good advice to me.

I wouldn't make Keller wait too long if the offer is on the table.
    I'm not a chef, but I also think Chuckles' advice sounds solid. Nice to have two good options, right? Hard to know which is "better" right now.

If you think ahead ten years, would you regret not having worked on Long Island or not having worked for Keller?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Are Keller's people waiting for an answer right now?
    I have an appointment Tuesday morning to discuss salary, so I don't know what it is but I am assuming its a good bit less. It's a Senior sous chef position at a restaurant that likely has no trouble filling positions. I know the previous chef from the restaurant on Long Island, safe to say they will offer me around 100k
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    NYC more sexy but having creative freedom can be the difference of being a job vs being a passion. Also, how is the supporting cast?
    Supporting cast, good question and to be honest I'm not sure. However working on Long Island for as long as I have it's probably non-existent, executive chefs get paid well on the island at the expense of everyone else in the kitchen.
    And as far as passion goes I've never really liked that analogy. A passion is something you feel strongly for and engulf yourself with but often only for a short period of time. Passion fades away, at this point of my career I'd say tenacity describes me better. I don't feel a "passion" burning in me, that's not what drives me to get up and go work every day. I'm relentless and methodical at work, I do what I do to spite myself sometimes but mostly just because it's what I do best.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post

Jobs like the Long Island gig will always be there. And having Keller on your résumé will probably cement that for life. Without knowing exactly what is going on in your personal or financial life, it seems from what I have gathered here at KKF over the last year that if ever there was a time to take a step down in rank and live the NYC life it is probably now.
    Mmmmm you kind of hit the nail on the head, that's pretty much how I'm looking at it and what I'm thinking. Job with Keller will be for more money then I make now and I do/have been feeling its time for a change. Just want to make sure I make the smart decision here, that's something I don't always do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I am not sure that your knife collection will fit in a Manhatten apartment though.
    A very good point both for financial reasons (to fund the move) and space limitations I'd have to sell all lot of stuff. But in some ways that might be a good thing it's kind of part of the whole "new start" thing. The 1000++ cookbook collection poses a bigger problem to move my knives. Got some big tools to....man trimming down will be a big, big bi+ch!

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    If you think ahead ten years, would you regret not having worked on Long Island or not having worked for Keller?

Stefan
    I have thought of that one too, but you word it so much better. if Keller don't work out as a long term career move at least I can say I tried it and I'll likely come out in the and having learned a thing or two. If the Long Island job terns out to be livening hell or doesn't work out I would kick myself for passing up per se. If I take the city job and it doesn't work out I'm in a better spot then if I take the LI job and it doesn't. Tuesday when I know exactly the dollar difference it will make the decision easier, but I wanted to start thinking/talking about it with the money still as an unknown.

Boy it's times like this when I wish my father was still alive

i'd imagine you're going to get dicked around more in a higher profile environment, bring out your best and worst all at the same time; that to me is more exciting. do you want adventure or stability? sounds to me more like long island might be better direction for you.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Keller. Some things in life are worth the risk.

/thread.
    Jason

It's nice sometimes to take a gig where you aren't the one ultimately responsible at the end of the day. Usually less hours, less stress, more opportunity to learn, etc. And if you rock, a higher position will always become available, there or somewhere else. And maybe one gig is less $, but if it is less hours and stress, maybe quality of life will be better. Recharge your batteries a bit, learn, be inspired. Like it was said, those LI gigs will always be available, especially with TK on your resume.

Get out of your comfort zone. Take the risk. TK all the way.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    •opportunity to learn more

Thanks
    Colin
    Colin, for me this would be all I would consider. I find myself being bored when I am not learning. Which would def. happen to me if I took the LI job. But I'm at the time in my life were the LI job would be nice. In your shoes/resume I would take the Keller gig.

On the other side I saw a Keller sous on a failing restaurant show. (I think Ramsey's) Just to say that anyone can become lazy and not see a problem with it.
    Chewie's the man.

A good friend of ours worked at Per Se (director of Private Dining , I believe) and had nothing but good things to say about it. She left to work for Ducasse and hated it. TK personally invited her back to work on the Left coast. If that's not high praise for an employer, nothing is. I'd go with Keller even at my age.
    And like Chuckles pointed out, the Island will always be there.

Manhattan living ain't cheap though. Last I remember, the only place that was still affordable and somewhat livable was UES above 95th street.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread