A tough decision to make

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chef Niloc

Banned
Reaction score
Okay so it rains it pours, in good ways and in bad.
Many of you know that I have been offered a job in New York working for Thomas Keller. However I got a surprise phone call, a restaurant here on long island is very interested in giving me the executive chef position. It's a well established restaurant with a great reputation owned by a reputable restaurant group. So here are the pros:

Long Island restaurant:
Pros:
•I don't know for sure yet but it's safe to say at least $20,000 more year, could be as much as 50k more?
•The restaurant falls more in my comfort zone, It's running a familiar type of restaurant in a demographic/location I'm familiar with.
•with either job I will most likely half to move, this would be an easier and less expensive move.
•More creative freedom.
•More prestigious title

NYC Pros:
•larger company with a impeccable reputation.
•more prestigious company
•opportunity to learn more
•possibly has more room for growth, not sure?
•Resume builder, however at this stage of my career I'm not sure how important this is?
•moving to the city does have its appeal. Even knowing it would be more expensive and a harder move I have always kind of wanted to do it.

If money was not a factor I would take the city job without a 2nd thought. However I want to make the smart decision here and not just run off and move to the city because I think it would be cool/fun to "live the city life"

A lot of thinking to do here and not a lot of time to do it. You guys are always an insightful bunch and have helped me make more then one hard decisions In my life, so let's here your thoughts.
Thanks
Colin

I don't know how you could say no to Thomas Keller and the city if its 20more a year but for 50 I think it makes it alittle easier. I'm at the point in my career I want quality of life. But it's gonna be hard to turn down Keller. Maybe impossible. Good luck

It will be slightly easier to decide when you can confirm exactly how much more the LI offer is. I imagine the cost of living might be a factor, as well as time commitment. It's great to have they talent to get these kind of options. I look forward to supporting you wherever you choose.

The other consideration is no job is ever a guarantee. That said it would be easier and quicker to find a new job in the city if I was already living there. But I don't really want to use this as one of the considerations because I don't want to think negative like that.

A guy I worked with that had spent a few solid years at the Laundry in the early days had very positive things to say about the company. I can't speak to how the company has grown in the intervening years but after a few drinks he wouldn't shut up about it. It really became annoying how much he talked about working there.

Jobs like the Long Island gig will always be there. And having Keller on your résumé will probably cement that for life. Without knowing exactly what is going on in your personal or financial life, it seems from what I have gathered here at KKF over the last year that if ever there was a time to take a step down in rank and live the NYC life it is probably now.

I am not sure that your knife collection will fit in a Manhatten apartment though.

Jobs like the Long Island gig will always be there. And having Keller on your résumé will probably cement that for life. Without knowing exactly what is going on in your personal or financial life, it seems from what I have gathered here at KKF over the last year that if ever there was a time to take a step down in rank and live the NYC life it is probably now.

This sounds like awfully good advice to me.

I wouldn't make Keller wait too long if the offer is on the table.

And this might be the sexiest kitchen in the country right?

image.jpg

I would go for the Keller job.

If you think ahead ten years, would you regret not having worked on Long Island or not having worked for Keller?

Stefan

Are Keller's people waiting for an answer right now?
I have an appointment Tuesday morning to discuss salary, so I don't know what it is but I am assuming its a good bit less. It's a Senior sous chef position at a restaurant that likely has no trouble filling positions. I know the previous chef from the restaurant on Long Island, safe to say they will offer me around 100k
NYC more sexy but having creative freedom can be the difference of being a job vs being a passion. Also, how is the supporting cast?
Supporting cast, good question and to be honest I'm not sure. However working on Long Island for as long as I have it's probably non-existent, executive chefs get paid well on the island at the expense of everyone else in the kitchen.
And as far as passion goes I've never really liked that analogy. A passion is something you feel strongly for and engulf yourself with but often only for a short period of time. Passion fades away, at this point of my career I'd say tenacity describes me better. I don't feel a "passion" burning in me, that's not what drives me to get up and go work every day. I'm relentless and methodical at work, I do what I do to spite myself sometimes but mostly just because it's what I do best.

Mmmmm you kind of hit the nail on the head, that's pretty much how I'm looking at it and what I'm thinking. Job with Keller will be for more money then I make now and I do/have been feeling its time for a change. Just want to make sure I make the smart decision here, that's something I don't always do.

I am not sure that your knife collection will fit in a Manhatten apartment though.

A very good point both for financial reasons (to fund the move) and space limitations I'd have to sell all lot of stuff. But in some ways that might be a good thing it's kind of part of the whole "new start" thing. The 1000++ cookbook collection poses a bigger problem to move my knives. Got some big tools to....man trimming down will be a big, big bi+ch!

If you think ahead ten years, would you regret not having worked on Long Island or not having worked for Keller?

Stefan
I have thought of that one too, but you word it so much better. if Keller don't work out as a long term career move at least I can say I tried it and I'll likely come out in the and having learned a thing or two. If the Long Island job terns out to be livening hell or doesn't work out I would kick myself for passing up per se. If I take the city job and it doesn't work out I'm in a better spot then if I take the LI job and it doesn't. Tuesday when I know exactly the dollar difference it will make the decision easier, but I wanted to start thinking/talking about it with the money still as an unknown.

Boy it's times like this when I wish my father was still alive:(

i'd imagine you're going to get dicked around more in a higher profile environment, bring out your best and worst all at the same time; that to me is more exciting. do you want adventure or stability? sounds to me more like long island might be better direction for you.

It's nice sometimes to take a gig where you aren't the one ultimately responsible at the end of the day. Usually less hours, less stress, more opportunity to learn, etc. And if you rock, a higher position will always become available, there or somewhere else. And maybe one gig is less $, but if it is less hours and stress, maybe quality of life will be better. Recharge your batteries a bit, learn, be inspired. Like it was said, those LI gigs will always be available, especially with TK on your resume.

Get out of your comfort zone. Take the risk. TK all the way.

•opportunity to learn more

Thanks
Colin

Colin, for me this would be all I would consider. I find myself being bored when I am not learning. Which would def. happen to me if I took the LI job. But I'm at the time in my life were the LI job would be nice. In your shoes/resume I would take the Keller gig.

On the other side I saw a Keller sous on a failing restaurant show. (I think Ramsey's) Just to say that anyone can become lazy and not see a problem with it.

A good friend of ours worked at Per Se (director of Private Dining , I believe) and had nothing but good things to say about it. She left to work for Ducasse and hated it. TK personally invited her back to work on the Left coast. If that's not high praise for an employer, nothing is. I'd go with Keller even at my age.
And like Chuckles pointed out, the Island will always be there.

Manhattan living ain't cheap though. Last I remember, the only place that was still affordable and somewhat livable was UES above 95th street.

Recharge your batteries a bit, learn, be inspired. Like it was said, those LI gigs will always be available, especially with TK on your resume.

Get out of your comfort zone. Take the risk. TK all the way.
I have been babying myself all summer, but you are right I do think it would still be nice to not be#1 for A bit more time.
Geting out of my comfort zone is one of my driving forces, just want to make sure it's not at the expense of everything else.
Sound advice I appreciate it

Colin, for me this would be all I would consider. I find myself being bored when I am not learning. Which would def. happen to me if I took the LI job. But I'm at the time in my life were the LI job would be nice. In your shoes/resume I would take the Keller gig.

On the other side I saw a Keller sous on a failing restaurant show. (I think Ramsey's) Just to say that anyone can become lazy and not see a problem with it.

Funny it's the #1 reason I think I got the job, I have been impressive work history as a long-term employee. It was expressed to me the main problem they're having with management is that they become board of the food after a period of time and complacent in their work. I can honestly say this is a problem I have never had, as I mentioned a few posts ago I'm methodical and tenacious when it comes to work.

A good friend of ours worked at Per Se (director of Private Dining , I believe) and had nothing but good things to say about it. She left to work for Ducasse and hated it. TK personally invited her back to work on the Left coast. If that's not high praise for an employer, nothing is. I'd go with Keller even at my age.
And like Chuckles pointed out, the Island will always be there.

Manhattan living ain't cheap though. Last I remember, the only place that was still affordable and somewhat livable was UES above 95th street.

I'd like to hear more about what it costs to live in the city, I have a vague idea but actual numbers from those of you that do it would be helpful. My calculations are that selling my car thus not having a car payment or insurance, adding that $$ To what I pay in rent now would give me 2200 a month, add gas into that, about 2400.00 think that would get me a ok place in the lower east side or west village? I don't need a big space 500 sq would be ok, a but safe one bedroom, no studio would be ok.

+1 on the Keller gig

Sometimes being forced to simplify is a good thing. Even if it's less money in the short term, there's no way that it can't equate to more money or more options in the future. While you've already got a lot of time in the biz' you've also got a lot of life ahead of you... and even if you only had a few months to live, where would you want to spend it? Perhaps the greatest city/ craziest food scene on earth or it's retarded suburb? Also, when you do look back on your life, which would you regret more for not having taken?

I'm not sure if/how you should tell the HR people about the LI gig though. Might be worth mentioning that you were given an offer out of the blue for 'X' more $$ that you turned down.

How old are you?

Money isn't a good argument for you to take the LI job IMO, and I can't see a single reason that you'd turn down the Keller job, as long as you can afford to live and take care of your commitments.
You are going to regret not taking the Keller job if you don't take it, likely forever. Even with the creative freedom that you're going to have, you won't be creating as much as you will in the city, albeit you probably won't have freedom over your creations.

Take the Keller job.

I guess I'm the sell out in the crowd. I work for $$$ not prestige or love of the game. There comes a time when chasing the Ace is no longer the best move, Of course I can't know your personal stats but I see plenty of prestige working in the city and cracking 100K.
If some one gave you X dollars and you had to invest the whole thing today with a solid tip that one investment would yield vastly more $$ and was a sure thing Vs a risky move that would surely pay less which play would you make?

Dave

Thanks guys , lots if good advice here keep it coming. I'm 39 now, I tend to agree with all of you that say "as long as the money is enough to cover my expenses and save a little, that's good enough". Thing is I have a bad feeling that the city job might not quite do that?? I'll know tomorrow, and the way I look at it it will likely cost me about 10 grand to move to the city considering first last months rent security deposit agent fees, not to mention random packing supplies, renting a truck etc. etc.
If anyone is here either lives in the city and/or has lived there recently what would you say the average monthly expenses are? Rent utilities MetroCard all that stuff put together, not counting food entertainment or any of that type of stuff just the raw living costs? My rough guess is more than 3K, around 4K?

Decent 1 bedrooms in The LES & West Village start at 3-4k a month (not including cable/internet, varied utilities) due to the fact they are highly desirable hoods, $2400 can get you a decent 1 Br in other areas, Brooklyn, Queens... Commute from Queens on subway aint bad to Time Warner Center/Per Se.

Long Island is the suburbs, Manhattan is the big city. Which would you rather have, money in your pocket with nothing to spend it on or the Big Apple where you never have enough money. Seriously, that's a tough choice. Your checklist in or first post is a good start. See if you can prioritize the pros and cons and apply some relative points to them. Add up the points and see where they come out. Then throw that in the garbage and go with your heart.

Latest posts

Back