Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A tough decision to make

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    misscomunacation somewhere? I Have to wate for a new appointment, the person that I need to talk to had an out of town emergency. Just wish someone from H.R. would have called me.
    I'm just a young line cook & I don't know you, so my opinion doesn't matter much but --

I'd pass on Per Se

Working for TK is obviously an amazing resume builder and opens a lot of doors, but at this stage in your career how much does that really impact you? It sounds like you have experience being a CDC or exec. chef for quite some time. If Per Se is willing to consider you as a sous chef then you know a little bit about what you're doing, right? Unless you feel extremely motivated by their cuisine/level of fine dining and want to really spend some time playing the whole Michelin game (and be in NYC) - why do it?

I asked someone I knew to describe what it was like for them to work at Per Se, he responded w/ one word: "sterile". I have never seen their kitchen but it seems like they have a massive brigade - and that you're having to jump through so many hoops and go thru all this red tape to even find what your possible salary might be -- or if you even have the job -- says a whole lot about how they are as a company IMO. Not to say that they'd treat you bad, but this is a massive restaurant group and you'd just be another cog in the machine.

At your stage I would rather take a job where I could have a much more personal connection with my employer, more creative control over my menu and kitchen staff, and hell yes, more money too.

Just my two cents.

Best of luck with it all

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    considering you have enough skills to get hired on to per se straight to soux chef i would think you should be plenty qualified to just own and operate your own establishment. unless you see some finacial backing possibilites happening through your time at per se, why bother? besides youre already 39 years old,which is like a 82 in chef years. what was keller doing when he was 39? learning under other people, or making his own mark?
    I opened a place a few years ago, last year my "partner " F'ed me pretty good, then god saw it fit to destroy the place via hurricane Sandy (thank you Lord), oh wait he hit me pretty hard with that storm too???
    Anyway for "right now" in my life I don't necessarily want the #1 spot, and I definitely don't want to own anything or buy. A scene change and the chance to actually learn something new has its appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA_NC View Post
    I'm just a young line cook & I don't know you, so my opinion doesn't matter much but --

I'd pass on Per Se

Working for TK is obviously an amazing resume builder and opens a lot of doors, but at this stage in your career how much does that really impact you? It sounds like you have experience being a CDC or exec. chef for quite some time. If Per Se is willing to consider you as a sous chef then you know a little bit about what you're doing, right? Unless you feel extremely motivated by their cuisine/level of fine dining and want to really spend some time playing the whole Michelin game (and be in NYC) - why do it?

I asked someone I knew to describe what it was like for them to work at Per Se, he responded w/ one word: "sterile". I have never seen their kitchen but it seems like they have a massive brigade - and that you're having to jump through so many hoops and go thru all this red tape to even find what your possible salary might be -- or if you even have the job -- says a whole lot about how they are as a company IMO. Not to say that they'd treat you bad, but this is a massive restaurant group and you'd just be another cog in the machine.

At your stage I would rather take a job where I could have a much more personal connection with my employer, more creative control over my menu and kitchen staff, and hell yes, more money too.

Just my two cents.

Best of luck with it all
    Everything you are saying sounds right there is right to me, sterile is a pretty good word.

I would rather take a job where I could have a much more personal connection with my employer,
    I'm trying to avoid that actually right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    And this might be the sexiest kitchen in the country right?
    If you don't work there, I will be upset. That is yes indeedy the sexiest kitchen I have ever seen. The iconic "blue aprons".
    Cassoulet, like life itself, isn't as easy as it seems...

However this could also be good, I took a screenshot of my email because I know you guys are going to start thinking im making all of this Sh1+ up LOL

LOL! The plot thickens! Ramsey is a no doubt a super talented guy, but how could you ever work for the guy who was the original "knuckle head" in one of my favorite media center threads?
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

What a beaut! I'd almost vote for Ramsay just because it would set you apart in other resume's. How could you not notice that if you were a recruiter?
    Cassoulet, like life itself, isn't as easy as it seems...

If you go with Ramsey you have to promise that you will smack him in the name of 3500 KKF members if you ever see him doing that stupid thing with a steel on his knife...

In any case, I am glad to see that you have options. And your wish for your Dad to be around in times like this really made me think about my parents and how grateful I am that they are still around, even if they are 10,000 miles away. Thanks for that!

Stefan

Colin:

I can't stand in for your Dad, but I have kids your age and can tell you what I would tell them.

Money is not the most important thing in life. You are still young, with a long career ahead of you. An investment in the future which will open doors for you is something to seriously consider.

But in the end, kid, you have to go with your heart.

In any case, after the rough times you have had, I am really happy to see you with some attractive options.

Best wishes,

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    However this could also be good, I took a screenshot of my email because I know you guys are going to start thinking im making all of this Sh1+ up LOL
    I figure you might have seen this during your research, but just in case:

http://eater.com/archives/2013/10/03...elin-stars.php

- Went from 2 stars to zero
    - No exec chef (at least they didn't for the last few months)
    - Gordon Ramsay is just a name, no longer a part of the restaurant