Reprofiling!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateo

Reaction score
I'm looking to do some re-profiling on my CCK cleaver to really see what kind of better cleaver to buy! I have a question though... what is the best way to go about doing this? If I am looking to take a decent amount of metal off... should I grind the blade perpendicular to the stone and then reform the edge? Or should I grind as if I'm sharpening and simply concentrate on a certain area for much longer and that will grind down the metal I don't want?

Thanks... the CCK has pretty soft steel, so I'm not too worried about it... I gave a thought (if I was going to do some serious reshaping) to actually cutting the metal into rough shape then reform the bevels that way, but I don't think I'm going to take that much metal off.

I'd suggest hanging the blade off of the stone and using the stone lengthwise. You'll gain a lot of control and you can pick the height of the grind you want to work at while keeping it pretty neat looking.

So I'm holding the blade almost as if I'm trying to "cut" the stone with the tip, only I'm not slicing but grinding with the lengthwise direction of the stone?

You may have to raise the handle to get the tip and lower the handle to get the heal.

You're welcome!

Hmm.. I may have been using the wrong term... but basically I added a few mm of belly to my CCK 1103... here's the before and after shots; note, I didn't take the belly all the way to the blue line, about 2-3mm short of that -- the blue line is the belly on the Suien VC cleaver. I haven't cut much with it, but it seems much less "clunky" than before on the board.

Before:

CCKB.jpg

After:

CCKA.jpg

What do you think? I think I may have over ground a little on the tip, as I was originally shooting for the blue line, then thought I'd go a little less curve at first. Anyways, those DMT plates cut fast! :D

Looks good to me. But all that matters is how it feels to you! So, do you have a better idea of what cleaver profile you want now?

Yeah, I like the extra curve... it's sticking a bit more than it used to so I think I might need to thin it behind the edge a little more and give it a polish. I haven't decided whether or not to take the curve all the way up to match the Suien profile or not. hmmm... this is kinda fun :D

I've tried to reprofile my old CCK knives before. The only problem is that the CCK bevels, even through they look even, are really uneven. So you might be grinding for a while to get all that spots on the bevel, and once you do, you'll be left with an uneven bevel like Mateo's.

I'd skip all the word and just settle for a really shallow back bevel.

Jay

Latest posts

Back