Thinning a Chef's Choice Trizor Blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanb

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've had this 220 mm Chef's Choice Trizor chef's knife for about 15 years. It's advertised to be RC 60 and I believe it. When I got this knife RC 60 was a big deal, especially compared to European knives. I'd never even heard of Japanese knives. I've kept this knife around to use as a beater because it has a thick blade and it's pretty tough.

Last week I got a new stone, a 320 grit Shapton Pro, and I wanted to give it a try so I thought I'd thin the Trizor blade. I ground a 10 degree primary bevel with my DMT XXC. I couldn't believe how long this took (an hour!). In the middle of this process I had a conversation with Dave (on an unrelated topic) and he happened to mention that he tried to get rid of the wire edge early in the sharpening. I tried, I really did, after the DMT XXC, but with not much luck. I have a 750X loupe so I can see the burrs.

I then went to the 320 stone and then I was able to strip the wire edge off with a champagne cork. Then to the 1K, 5K, and 8K Shapton Pros but this time I went to the hard felt to deburr.

For the secondary bevel I started with the 1K through the 12K stones and finished with a CrO2 loaded strop with a hard felt between stones. At last I have a good edge.

I don't know if this is the best way to thin an edge and I would appreciate any input from you folks.

Sounds fine to me. I don't use XXC to sharpen. Less coarse diamond stones seem to work pretty quickly already and don't leave such deep scratches in the metal. Most of the time, I've been use a 400 Gesshin or 500 Beston for edge thinning jobs.

Back