Hattori KD's Available !!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerafa

Reaction score
JCK has some Hattori KD kitchen knives available. Looks like the waiting list was considered too long, and they went up this AM for sale. They say its a small number of knives, but who knows how many might be available. Having been on the waiting list for about 6 years, i was very grateful to be able to place an order for a petty and 270 gyuto this AM.

I will post some pictures when they come in!

Not sure how long this might last.

Matt

JCK is taking FOREVER to load on my 'puter.
I don't know if it's because of KD Fury or the fact that they have an ad in the back of Saveur Magazine for the 1st time ever.

Took forever to load their page, but yep, sold out. Nice score

well, they do appear every once in a while, at least somewhere... one simply has to be lucky to find a shop without a waiting list because being no. 267 for a gyuto in a certain size doesn't sound like you will ever get one.

i wonder though how it is possible that JCK has a waiting list of over 200 people waiting for a KD gyuto (so i was told), and then they put some up for public sale? :shocked3: i bet the NSA has erased their waiting list file on JCK's hard drive... :spiteful:

That was a very fast sale... i feel very very very lucky today.

I was lucky enough to grab a 270mm gyuto. I would have loved to grab a paring knife as well, but alas.

Nice scores. I'd love to see a write up on the KDs. Obviously the steel, damascus and supply bumps the price up, but I'd be curious how they perform next to other high end knives. Kato, Heiji, DT, Burke etc..

I couldnt get their site to load on my comp, or my cell. Would have love to have seen what was for sale

Yeah, it's painfully slow at the moment. He listed the KDs, a coreless damascus Hattori (VG-10/VG-2), some Sanetsu zdp gyutos and ZDP yanagis, Hattori FH with a corian handle, new Itou's and some NOS Hiromoto white 2 gyutos.

Most of it was fairly high end. I ended up ordering one of the Hiromoto's, don't see them come round very often and seemed like a pretty good deal.

I wonder if those are the Hiromotos are from the same batch that were sold five or six years ago? I don't remember if those were clad. And I don't feel like going to ITK and looking it up.

That batch had a problem with bolsters falling off. People were upset and selling their knives off at a fraction of the cost. It got so bad that Koki offered to take back any knife from that batch. Then posts began to appear about how the knives were some of the best cutters the forum had seen. Granted that was five years ago. Almost immediately the knives sold out and that included the returned knives.

Even though I use cleavers as my main knife. I was tempted to pick one up, but in the end, I know it would hardly ever get used.

The knife would be a great choice to be rehandled, get a spa treatment, and maybe etched.

Jay

Yeah, I recalled the last batch Koki sold as having shockingly bad F+F on the handles. I'm assuming he probably wouldn't do the same this time round. Doesn't really bother me either way. At $200 it's not breaking the bank, even if it needs a little TLC, and I can be fairly confident the steel and HT will be decent.

Hoping it'll make for a good workhorse. Looks pretty hefty from the measurements and weight so I doubt I'll have to baby it.

Yeah, it's painfully slow at the moment. He listed the KDs, a coreless damascus Hattori (VG-10/VG-2), some Sanetsu zdp gyutos and ZDP yanagis, Hattori FH with a corian handle, new Itou's and some NOS Hiromoto white 2 gyutos.

Most of it was fairly high end. I ended up ordering one of the Hiromoto's, don't see them come round very often and seemed like a pretty good deal.

I couldn't resist one of the 270 Hiros either.

At 50g more than the AS and 3.2mm at the spine Vs 2.4mm sounds like a good workhorse

Yeah, I recalled the last batch Koki sold as having shockingly bad F+F on the handles. I'm assuming he probably wouldn't do the same this time round. Doesn't really bother me either way. At $200 it's not breaking the bank, even if it needs a little TLC, and I can be fairly confident the steel and HT will be decent.

Hoping it'll make for a good workhorse. Looks pretty hefty from the measurements and weight so I doubt I'll have to baby it.

I have one of the solid white #2 from the last batch. They were $50! with a clear understanding that there were no returns and the handles had issues. I sent mine straight to Adam for a custom handle. It is simply one of the best knives that i have ever owned, i love it. My plan was that it would make a great traveling companion, but now i am too worried about it getting taken out of the suitcase.... Only because it is not replaceable. Instead i take a hattori 210. Which is a great small knife that can be used in pretty much any kitchen, and is replaceable if something goes wrong.

I have no idea what the new old stock will be like, but from my understanding the core is old stock, and the stainless sandwich is new.

I would love to get another solid white core knife in the same shape. But seems like they are very difficult to get.

From Koki, they only received one or two of each of the KD knives this week. It is a testament to him, that he didn't just start an auction. No idea how much they would have gone for in an auction environment.

The JCK website was essentially frozen for me, and my shopping cart would not empty. After i finished my transaction, and went to purchase a Hiromoto, i still had the KD's in my shopping cart. I was a little concerned that the transaction didn't process correctly. In fact it was only 66% successful. i was able to secure 2 out of the three knives that i wanted, and someone else purchased the third one prior to my transaction.

I was also one of the lucky ones and was able to snag a KD-30L. I had wanted the KD-30 but by the time I had paid for it, only the KD-30L was left.
It'll be great beside the 240 KD I already have.

I was also one of the lucky ones and was able to snag a KD-30L. I had wanted the KD-30 but by the time I had paid for it, only the KD-30L was left.
It'll be great beside the 240 KD I already have.

What time did you finish your transaction. Mine went through at 6 minutes after the hour. I think i got the last (possibly only KD-30), and one of the two KD-34.

What time did you finish your transaction. Mine went through at 6 minutes after the hour. I think i got the last (possibly only KD-30), and one of the two KD-34.

9:23am EST yesterday was when my payment went through. I didn't get the newsletter from Koki until 9:10am.
3 KD's-wow, that's quite the score.

9:23am EST yesterday was when my payment went through. I didn't get the newsletter from Koki until 9:10am.
3 KD's-wow, that's quite the score.

I only got 2, the third one was over sold, and i lost out...

I'll be sure to post some photos when mine arrives. I've heard that they come at a fraction of their potential sharpness. I'm guessing that it will be visiting Mr. Martell in the next year.

Back