Sujihiki for a first timer.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungpao

Reaction score
LOCATION-
USA

KNIFE TYPE-
Sujihiki

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Open to either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270- 300mm. Unless there are downsides to having a longer a blade I'd prefer to have the extra length.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No, I prefer something that can take a more keen edge. Looking for stainless clad carbon, semi stainless, or full high carbon

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$325 usd

KNIFE USE-
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing roasts, BBQ, poultry, fish, etc.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
none

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I won't be using this one daily, so edge retention is less important than my daily drivers.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Looking for something to use as a slicer for everything from brisket to raw fish. Hoping to spend less than 300. I'm not looking for a showy knife, so aesthetics can take a back seat to functionality here. I've been keeping an eye on BST for a while but I don't check often enough and miss my chance. I've decided to purchase new. Thanks in advance

I used to have a carbonext sujihiki from JCK. It was a nice performer and took a great edge. It was just a good, solid overall no nonsense knife. It also arrived insanely fast from Japan for a shipping cost of 7$. Last time I was on JCK they were on sale.

I have the carbonext as well, all tripleq said and also you dont have to be super sensitive and nursing.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!

Here's another recommendation for CarboNext. I bought the 300mm several months ago and am very happy with it. I also strongly suggest you go for the 300 over the 270, the extra little bit makes for a much more efficient slicer.

I agree Chefdog, i have the 270mm and would much rather have the 300mm. :knife:

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing roasts, BBQ, poultry, fish, etc.

5/8 of those tasks are better served with a chef/gyuto.

2/3 of the remaining tasks can be accomplished with a chef/gyuto to the same effect as a suji.

Are you sure you want a suji? You will also be forced to cut "off of the board" or "tip down" due to the lack of knuckle clearance. I know, you can modify your grip blah blah blah...but it's not efficient or practical IMO.

If you are absolutely set on a suji then I would look at something in the 240-270mm range. Misono Sweden is nice as the F&F is better than almost every mass produced Japanese knife I have ever held in my hand (Mac excepted).

+1 to Chefdog and toek. My Carbonext 270 came yesterday and my first thought upon opening the package was, "I should have got the 300". ;)

5/8 of those tasks are better served with a chef/gyuto.

2/3 of the remaining tasks can be accomplished with a chef/gyuto to the same effect as a suji.

Are you sure you want a suji? You will also be forced to cut "off of the board" or "tip down" due to the lack of knuckle clearance. I know, you can modify your grip blah blah blah...but it's not efficient or practical IMO.

If you are absolutely set on a suji then I would look at something in the 240-270mm range. Misono Sweden is nice as the F&F is better than almost every mass produced Japanese knife I have ever held in my hand (Mac excepted).

i think he left the examples in. his tasks are at the end : Slicing roasts, BBQ, poultry, fish, etc.

the carbonext has a great reputation for quality and value but since you're willing to up the budget, i'd go with a ginga/yusuke/kochi at almost $300 or a misono swedish for $200ish. i only suggest these because they look different to the carbonext. the more expensive ones will probably outperform a carbonext but not by much. i for one, can't stand the kanji on the carbonext, it's got this bog standard looking textbookish font.

as regards to length, i think 270mm is plenty for a slicer unless your roasts etc are particularly large. the longer a suji gets, the more unwieldy it is to use for things other than slicing. i use my 270 kono hd as a line knife and i'd prefer a 240/255. if you're preoccupied with only using the suji for slicing and little else, by all means spend more on a little more length as that will always make it easier.

Back