Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how heavy is your turkey for this Thanksgiving?

how heavy is your turkey for this Thanksgiving?

i decided to go small this year. this is happening at my home this year, so i am keeping stuff simple.

i am cooking a 13lb bird this year. traditional roasted bird. i did kick around the idea of doing it salvadorean style but nah..

my wife was bummed. she was wanting a big heavy beast of a bird. are smaller birds more tender? just wondering. it was amazing watching people dig for the 20 lb birds.

the rest of my meal. roasted green beans, mash potatoes, home made biscuits..and gallons of gravy. a simple turkey "blue plate" special..like you find at a diner. oh, i'll do a cranberry chutney or something.

and homemade pumpkin pie. so i can control the sugar content.

I'm doing 2x10 pounds. Less total time in the oven than one big bird. In my case the 2nd bird is actually going to be my 'leftovers'.

I don't really do turkeys anymore. Might do Scallops this year.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

16 pounds, with two extra drumsticks, John Madden style, because my family really likes the dark meat.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Will be ~14 lbs, which is pretty normal for us. My wife and I both could pass on the breast/ white meat, so it's all about the drumsticks, thighs and wings. Will be paired up with potato/ parsnip puree, some fresh cranberry sauce, stuffing overloaded w/ Italian sausage and a salad. Pumpkin pie w/ orange and ginger for dessert (w/ fresh whipped cream infused with orange liquor). Will probably make some gravy as well, although we can take it or leave it. Okay, so the stuffing will be more like a giant meatball made w/ sausage instead of ground veal/ pork/ beef :-)

About 20-23lbs planned. Will find out at the farm on Wednesday! Can't wait!

I slayed two 8lb Rouen ducks at the farm on Saturday. No turkey this year, but those ducks are BEASTS.
    Cassoulet, like life itself, isn't as easy as it seems...

#1 @ 33.26 lbs, #2 @ 23.36, and #3 @ 34.28 lbs -- All from Bolton's Turkey Farm in Sliverdale, PA. #1 and #2 are for lunch tomorrow at a school and go into the oven tomorrow at 3:30AM and 5AM respectively for lunch served at 11:30AM. I start making the stuffing at 1:30AM. #3 is for the family on Thursday. The fun begins... -Doug

I prefer smaller birds all around so my turkey is only 12 lbs. I will also smoke ribs with it and thought about going to get another small one as well for left overs.

-

17-18 lbs this year cajun rotissieri style cooking