First Real Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumble123

Reaction score
Hi all.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef's Knife

Are you right or left handed?

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Probably western but open to eastern.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

8 inches

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home only.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Everything except breaking bones and filleting fish.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

N/A

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Hammer, but open to pinch.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Rocking and other assorted technique-free cutting. Wouldn't mind trying new things.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Not important

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Somewhat important

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Fairly important

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Quite important

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Planning on buying a wooden board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

No.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Possibly. I'm starting medical school soon and the last thing I want to do is pick up a very high maintenance hobby, but if it's necessary to get any performance out of a good knife then I would consider it. I was thinking about getting it professionally sharpened 2x a year.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Possibly. See previous response.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Was thinking of the Suisin Inox Western Style - 8 inches. I need something new york city starter apartment friendly.

Thanks a bunch.

Suisi inox western is a good knife, but it will need to be sharpened rather frequently, like most good knives. I would recommend a hiromoto AS 210mm because it has great edge retention, so it wont need to be sharpened very often, but when you do sharpen it it will take a bit longer. However it is not stainless. It is wrapped in stainless but the area near the edge is carbon steel. It is not a big deal, just keep it dry and don't let acidic juices sit on it for very long.

I have also heard that the gesshin Uraku stainless 210mm is very nice for the price.

Personally I would get a fujiwara FKM 210mm and a sharpening stone and just do quick touch ups frequently so you don't spend a lot of time on maintenance.

I would also recommend getting a king 1000/6000 grit combination water stone. If you touch up your knife every week or so it wont take very much time to keep it sharp. Like less than 5 minutes a week at most.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Suisin Inox is a good choice,it is thin profile & decent steel.Ghessin Uraku wt. saya 155.00,Carbonext,Kanetsugu Pro-M another thin blade wt. saya.

Suisi inox western is a good knife, but it will need to be shrapened rather frequently, like most good knives. I would recommend a hiromoto AS 210mm because it has great edge retention, so it wont need to be sharpened very often, but when you do sharpen it it will take a bit longer. However it is not stainless. It is wrapped in stainless but the area near the edge is carbon steel. It is not a big deal, just keep it dry and don't let acidic juices sit on it for very long.

I would also recommend getting a king 1000/6000 grit combination water stone. If you touch up your knife every week or so it wont take very much time to keep it sharp. Like less than 5 minutes a week at most.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend the Tojiro DP gyuto for your needs. You could get the 210mm, though I bet in the long run you'd be happier with a 240mm. You can also get a hand sharpener for 50/50 knives like this one on CKTG. Given how much you're likely to use the knife living alone and being in med school, I doubt you'd need to sharpen more than once a month. Just my opinion, I'm not nearly as fanatical (or experienced) as most of the people on this site.

I'd recommend getting the susin inox western I have the 210 one and I love it works really well when I'm working on line and i find it sharpens up nicely and is very comfortable in hand.

I second Salty's suggestion of the Kanetsugu Pro-M. I bought it as a hoouse warming gift and eventually got the person the matching paring knife. They love them both. Now they are hooked.

The carbon core of the Hiromoto sharpens very easily and has a remarkable edge retention. I wouldn't recommend a VG-10 as the Tojiro -- or, at a lesser degree, any other stainless -- to a sharpening novice.

Latest posts

Back