Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting Performance - Reasonable Expectations

So what area needed to be ground more? The part very close to the edge or the whole shinogi?
    I'm having a similar wedge'ing problem with a santoku and I'm in the process of thinning it down.
    It's really funny when two very similarly shaped knives but with different profiles cut so differently. In my case a very cheap and thick Tanaka wedges very little compared to my thin Anryu. I'll need to measure them very closely with a digital caliper to see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    somebody gets a takeda that wedges and the hoards freak out. someones carter cuts like shite brand new and nobody bats an eye..
    There's a clear difference. You haven't been following the threads carefully, have you? Problems are more common with Takedas than Carters, and Takeda isn't necessarily willing to fix his knives. Problems are very uncommon with Carter, and I haven't seen a single thread explaining that Carter wasn't willing to fix one of his knives.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

is takeda not willing to do fixes? in the thread i'm thinking of the buyer shipped it to him and was given back a reground knife and seems to be quite happy with it. kind of seems it is implied that if a thread wasnt created about it, takeda might not have been so willing to do the fix.

it's unfortunate this kind of thing happens at all. i'm willing to bet this sort of thing is more common with many different brands, just that people aren't forth coming with it; either out of ignorance to the issue and/or fear of peer backlash, however misguided that notion may be.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    is takeda not willing to do fixes? in the thread i'm thinking of the buyer shipped it to him and was given back a reground knife and seems to be quite happy with it. kind of seems it is implied that if a thread wasnt created about it, takeda might not have been so willing to do the fix.

it's unfortunate this kind of thing happens at all. i'm willing to bet this sort of thing is more common with many different brands, just that people aren't forth coming with it; either out of ignorance to the issue and/or fear of peer backlash, however misguided that notion may be.
    There are other threads re Takeda not wanting to fix knives that did not cut well. There's a whole thread about older vs. newer Takedas and how newer Takedas don't perform as well as older ones and fixing them is one issue discussed in this thread.

As for Carter, I have owned 3 and currently own 2. While I haven't used one knife that I currently own, all Carter knives I've used or owned consistently cut very well. I've never had a problem with one. I also know of at least 3 other members who have Carters and none of them reported any problems. One member I know says the Carter he has is the best cutting knife he owns. I know there are members who own Carters and have had issues with them, but, not once, have I ever heard that Carter refused to fix a knife.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

mirror polishing the bevel leading to the actual edge will drastically reduce cutting drag. my tests on cardboard show a fantastic reduction in pressure needed to cut & slice. cranky72