New Line of Shaving Soaps

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Because this is my hangout and you guys are awesome, I'm filling you guys in first. My initial line of shaving soaps has now been discontinued, due to a couple of reasons, but primarily because Mike Coon at Mike's Natural Soaps is so successful that it is no longer possible for him to keep supplying me with the custom scents I had for my site. After keeping this quiet for quite some time, selling through the stock and testing numerous products, I've reached an agreement with another fantastic maker, and truth be told, I love the new soap just as much as the original. I'd like to thank Mike Coon for making a fantastic product that was downright amazing, and for helping me get my site off the ground. You will see in the coming months, some pretty noticeable and significant changes to my shop, the products in it, and the overall look in general. This is as a result of streamlining my efforts and refocusing in the direction that I'm truly passionate about - being a craftsman who provides a high-quality product, backed by a name and face you trust. I won't delve into it too much, just yet, but there will be changes in the future that I feel will be great for me personally, for my business, for my customers, and most importantly - my growing family. While I'm sad to part ways with Mike, I see this as an opportunity to introduce more people to another great product while being a great starting point for the change needed to make my shop work for everyone involved.

Without any further rambling - here's your sneak peek of the three new soaps that I hope will be a mainstay at sharpandshinyshop.com.

89E52280-F094-4C43-9962-63A0DA1BD215-2725-000004503018C27B_zps64793916.jpg

Sounds great that you're doing new things, can't wait to see it. The best of luck to you!

Yup, one is minty. :) I don't think I could do without a minty shaving soap, to be honest.

Can you provide some more information regarding those new products? Scent? Name of your provider? And when you expect to have it in your shop?

Nice. Now I need someone to practice shaving on someone that isn't shaking in fear like I do...

The soaps will hit the store sometime early next week, at the latest. I can give you the scents, but I'm still trying to decide what route to go with how much I'm going to release, as far as info is concerned...just one of those things.

The scents are:

Peppermint, Rosemary and Lavender

Cedarwood, Bergamot and Spice

Maple Cookie

Michael, I'll be sending you a puck of this, so just let me know which one you want. Oh, and your brush should hit your mailbox today. :D

Lefty, Forgive my ignorance but is a shaving soap the same thing as shaving cream? I'd love to get some of yur stuff just want to be sure I have what I need. Could you explain what products are necessary: soap, tonic, after shave.... What's your process?

Tom,

Are these tallow soaps like the last? In other words, are they soft enough that I can 'smash' them into my shave bowl?

Thanks

Yup, this is a tallow soap, and it's really soft...almost Cella-like. They are coming in the tubs, but it'll be a breeze to transfer them over (I did).

Dennis - shaving soap replaces the canned shaving cream (you can get cream for use with brushes too, that are very good). You will find a good soap, proper prep, and a nice brush will make your shaves more enjoyable (the ritual and olfactory stimulation help with this, as do the feeling of using a brush with warm lather, and less drag on your face while shaving). A good shaving soap is nice and slick, with cushion that helps reduce nicks. They tend to help with leaving your face feeling hydrated and refreshed, but in my experience, a good aftershave makes a huge difference as well. I love Proraso aftershave balm (Omega, as well), but in general, any balm with witch hazel instead of the regular old alcohol tends to work well for me. As far as razors are concerned... Well, one thing at a time. :) To be honest, a great way to start and really feel and see the benefits of wet-shaving is by adding a good brush and soap to your regular shaving routine. Continue to use the cartridge razor for a little while, to get the hang of things, and then step up to a DE or straight. I prefer DE razors, because they are nice and quick to use, and are much more natural for those of us who learned with a Gillette Mach 3. However, a straight is a thing of beauty, and when you're good with one, man, are they ever a great experience.

Thanks again Tom. I've been wanting to pursuit wet-shaving for sometime now, just a little intimidated with products and process. My girl was asking me what I wanted for Xmas, I think I now have an answer. Will you have DE razors for sale. Be nice to get a kit from you: Bowl, brush, soap, razor and aftershave. Do you think you'll offer a entry-level kit.

Do I hear Group Buy? I'd be willing to receive the group-buy shipment and then ship them for a lot less direct to US customers.

What do you think? Could be a good way for us to put an influx of $ in Tom's new business, while at the same time, get hooked up with a nice shaving kit just in time for Santa?

Tom, I hope I'm not putting you in a bind here, just a suggestion.

For sure. I'm in, if you are. I have the aftershave, bowl, razor and soap in mind. The only thing I need to think about is the brush, because I can't make these ones. What price might you guys be interested in? I can aim for $125, or under...hmmm.

Heya Tom, does this maker do creams as well?

No creams...although, if demand is high enough, I might start carrying Omega or Proraso Shaving Cream. They're pretty widely available, but I really like them. On special order, I can also get you guys Castle Forbes, should anyone be interested. :)

Back