Quantcast
Baked taters advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baked taters advice

Baked taters advice

Man... I love a great baked potato- any tips to getting them just right?

I got a bag of 40 count yesterday, those things are huge- as big as Dave's head!

So, is there a general rule for timing them? What about temps?

Not an answer, butt a further question: what is the optimum internal temp? Now that I have a Themapen I have a temperature fanaticism!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

My microwave has a potato setting that uses a steam sensor to time how long to cook the potato. I usually wash the skin, vent the potato with some knife slits, put it in the microwave and hit the potato button. Once it is done in the microwave I put it in the smoker for an hour or so to finish it off.

Soften some whole butter, rub the butter on the tatoe, season with kosher salt fresh black pepper, wrap em in foil, bake em 350 for 50-60 min.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Wrap it in foil? Never! That ends up essentially steaming the potato.

IMHO, a properly baked potato has skin that's almost crisp -- that's actually the best part, both nutritionally and taste-wise.

Just wash the potato well and stick it in a 400-degree oven on a rack or tray for about an hour; cooking time depends on its size. It's done when easily pierced with a fork.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    Wrap it in foil? Never! That ends up essentially steaming the potato.

IMHO, a properly baked potato has skin that's almost crisp -- that's actually the best part, both nutritionally and taste-wise.

Just wash the potato well and stick it in a 400-degree oven on a rack or tray for about an hour; cooking time depends on its size. It's done when easily pierced with a fork.
    +1 on the crisp, my favorite have crisp skin and chives. I do a little olive oil and salt/pepper mine with the above mentioned temp and process. I'll have to smoke them when I get my smoker going this spring.
    yr

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I got a bag of 40 count yesterday, those things are huge- as big as Dave's head!
    May your taters turn out hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    +1 on the crisp, my favorite have crisp skin and chives. I do a little olive oil and salt/pepper mine with the above mentioned temp and process. I'll have to smoke them when I get my smoker going this spring.
    yr
    About the foil. And, I should have clarified earlier. Thing is I'm not using regular foil from the roll. It's the 6 x 8 foil paper sheets. Reason is in my convection oven you can really dry out the outer layer without protecting it and it really holds the butter on there till it absorbs in the potato.

Also, you have to remember, during service when a baker is picked up is when we pop it in the convection uncovered and it gets the nice crisp skin outside.

Sorry for the lack of method involved earlier. In my haste to help with a quick answer I failed to provide a little back story.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMartell View Post
    May your taters turn out hard.
    Tater Hater...

Using the smoking after the microwaving is for adding a little smoke flavor and crisping up the skin. My Treager grill works pretty much like a convection oven with smoke. It has a fire pot and fan that wood pellets are fed into from a hopper timed by a thermostat to keep a constant temp set by a dial similar to that on a oven. Makes smoking things a breeze so I always finish them off in the smoker instead of the oven.

+ Reply to Thread