Quantcast
Sakai Yusuke Wa-Gyuto: Stainless vs White - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sakai Yusuke Wa-Gyuto: Stainless vs White

the only thing you really need to consider is looks. patina or stainless. everything else is marginally different. if you prefer one over the other, you'll get minor benefits either way that really won't make much difference to you.

I have the stainless version in 240mm, no complaints about it's performance. I agree that it really comes down to whether you like the look of patina.

i would think the carbon version should have an advantage as far as ultimate sharpness is concerned. though im sure many would disagree.

I can vouch for the stainless, and it gets plenty plenty plenty sharp with excellent edge retention. It's a personal choice in looks as you can't lose with either.

i respectfully disagree. generally speaking good sharpening skills will get swed stainless very sharp, but sakai type white steels should get a tad sharper. but its close. the difference between the 2 steels is not as simple as one patinas and one does not. i also think very different stone progressions also bring out the best in both knives. so its really not worth it to compare similarly sharpened blades side by side. but sheesh, swed stainless gets plenty sharp though and either knife would make a great choice if youre looking at sakai yusuke knives.
    the real decision should be over which attribute is more important to the user, ease of sharpening or edge retention?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i respectfully disagree. generally speaking good sharpening skills will get swed stainless very sharp, but sakai type white steels should get a tad sharper. but its close. the difference between the 2 steels is not as simple as one patinas and one does not. i also think very different stone progressions also bring out the best in both knives. so its really not worth it to compare similarly sharpened blades side by side. but sheesh, swed stainless gets plenty sharp though and either knife would make a great choice if youre looking at sakai yusuke knives.
    the real decision should be over which attribute is more important to the user, ease of sharpening or edge retention?
    How many posts ago did you say you didn't have any experience with their stainless?

how is the reactivity of the yusuke white steel compared to other white steel gyutos? =D

i think he was referring to aeb-l steel in general. i'm not a fan of either aebl or white steel, but white is both easier to sharpen and gets more keen. edge retention has not been a strength of aeb-l in my experience. white steel retention is not even a consideration as you're trading off for user friendliness.

You're absolutely correct from a theoretical standpoint, but OP would have to be pretty committed to sharpening to feel a difference in the edges these knifes are capable of. I'll rephrase and say that "for most users" the difference will be in patina/non. You may be an edge case OP, in which case, go for the White. I've been sharpening a friend's tadatsuna white steel gyuto for years, and it's done fine in the hands of a guy who occasionally forgets it in the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    How many posts ago did you say you didn't have any experience with their stainless?
    GENERALLY SPEAKING good sharpening skills will get swed stainless very sharp, but sakai type white steels should get a tad sharper.
    yeah yeah yeah...i dont really feel like i need to try sakai yusuke to know this to be true. ive already used many many konosuke hds,suisin inox, gesshin ginga stainless, sakai yusuke white steels and konosuke white steels to form an educated opinion. yusuke stainless isnt going to amaze me comparitively, sorry. especially with the chromium content. lets just agree to disagree.