Quantcast
Sakai Yusuke Wa-Gyuto: Stainless vs White - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sakai Yusuke Wa-Gyuto: Stainless vs White

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    yeah yeah yeah...i dont really feel like i need to try sakai yusuke to know this to be true. ive already used many many konosuke hds,suisin inox, gesshin ginga stainless, sakai yusuke white steels and konosuke white steels to form an educated opinion. yusuke stainless isnt going to amaze me comparitively, sorry. especially with the chromium content. lets just agree to disagree.
    Aren't the Suisins and Sakais both 19c27? Geometry isn't that far off either, I'd say that's a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    yeah yeah yeah...i dont really feel like i need to try sakai yusuke to know this to be true. ive already used many many konosuke hds,suisin inox, gesshin ginga stainless, sakai yusuke white steels and konosuke white steels to form an educated opinion. yusuke stainless isnt going to amaze me comparitively, sorry. especially with the chromium content. lets just agree to disagree.
    Not disagreeing or agreeing. I have experience with Yusuke's stainless, some V2, some AS, but little with white. I haven't submitted any suggestions or opinions and don't intend to. I just thought it odd that you would try to dominate the thread the way you did after admitting to having no direct experience.

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    How many posts ago did you say you didn't have any experience with their stainless?
    Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    Not disagreeing or agreeing. I have experience with Yusuke's stainless, some V2, some AS, but little with white. I haven't submitted any suggestions or opinions and don't intend to. I just thought it odd that you would try to dominate the thread the way you did after admitting to having no direct experience.
    not trying to dominate anything. but i did want to refute the claim that the deciding difference between the 2 knives is patina. thats just a misleading statement. i didnt "submit any suggestions" either, like i said, the deciding difference between these 2 lines of knives for most people should be which attribute is more important to the user, ease of sharpening or edge retention. both knives have their advantage.

Does SY make the stainless in the flatter profile? My impression is no.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    Does SY make the stainless in the flatter profile? My impression is no.
    They do, I have one.

i have one as well and like it very much.

I have the "flatter" profile that's ridiculously hard to come by. An excellent knife. Convex grind, great distal taper, rounded spine and choil. Nothing really sticks to it and it gets razor sharp (white #2). Very fast nimble knife, I just prefer a taller blade as I'm kind of a taller guy. Otherwise it would be a permanent fixture in my day to day knife use. Hence the reason it's up on BST

incoming pm.

OP, I think the answer to your question really would be based on the same principles in selecting any other knives, not just Sakai Yusuke gyuto. If you like the advantages of carbon steel in your other knives, likely you would also in a Sakai yusuke gyuto. If you like the advantages of stainless in your other knives, you would probably also like a wa gyuto in it also. If you Google 'stainless vs carbon' you will probably find enough discussion to keep you busy for a long time, LOL

Olpappy, I hear what you're saying. OTOH, some makers do better with one steel than others. For example, Tanaka blue is much more reactive than the other blue steel knives I've got, and I wouldn't buy them again, though I;d be happy to buy his stainless again.

I think it's coming down to this: most of my carbon knives, I keep hidden when friends come to cook. Do I want this knife to be a 'public knife' or a 'private knife'?

Because if it's just for me, I'll go with the white steel. But it's about time to purge a few knives, and I need to figure out which ones before I make my decision on the Yusuke.

+ Reply to Thread