Quantcast
Maker's mark - right or left side?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maker's mark - right or left side?

Maker's mark - right or left side?

When I first started seeing Japanese knives it struck me as weird that they mark on the right side of the blade since I knew the left side as how we westerners normally mark our knives. After 6-7 years now I'm starting to feel like I prefer the mark to be on the right side, like it's grown on me to the point of it being a preference of mine.

So now the big question comes up for me, what side should I mark my knives on? I prefer the right but I'm American. Most people in this community wouldn't think twice about it marked on either side probably but if I took them to a knife show I'll get funny looks and questions for sure.

What do you think?

Get your ABS MS title and mark it on both sides, untill then; Left
    (Devin put it on the left side)

Both sides! Seriously though, when I think about it most knives are made for right handed people. When we're talking about a kitchen knife, I'll have product in my left hand, and the blade will come in from the right meaning that the right side of the blade is facing the world. It makes sense to me then to have that makers mark also facing the world for all to see. Lefties of course might feel differently.
    - Sean

Left side.

When we are talking left side or right side, how is the knife being oriented. Is the spine up with the tip away from you?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

For me, I made the assumption spine up, tip away.

Most of my traditional Japanese blades are marked on the left side ......... they're left-handed though

Right side, in my opinion. That side is the "front side" to me, and it's the side that faces upwards when I put a knife down on the table or board.
    Len

I think the mark should on the right side, so the whole world can see.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread