I needs an opinion on purchase.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jvang998

Reaction score
Well I've been looking to get a veggie/fruit chopper and a chicken knife. Trying to keep it on a low budget since we have a baby on the way, so I'm thinking $100-$120 for both. I'm looking at either

CCK 1303 Cleaver and Fujiwara FKM 145mm Honesuki for $110

Or

Wusthof Classic 7" Nakiri and 6" Chefs knife set for $99

I figured the 6" Wusthof would work fine for cutting joints and deboning chicken.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Also if anyone has a different combo they like or think is better let me know.

Also sorry for the bad grammar... Lol

I'm pretty sure you're looking for a gyuto. I'll let the others chime in on recommendations, good luck with the child on the way :).

Thanks... I have a Mac Pro 8.5" Chefs knife and I do really enjoy using it, but I just want to expand my collection a little and have a few different knives for specific jobs.

I can't speak to CCK except they are a good value and generally well regarded cleaver. I've had a couple but for me the cleaver don't dance.

The Wusties are pretty clunky, not what most here are looking for in a knife. The Nakiri especially is poorly suited for the task of veg chopping.

Suggest you would be better served with an inexpensive gyuto or santoku. If you fill out the "which knife?" questionnaire you'll get a lot of suggestions on how to spend your money.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hich-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

I'm looking for a veggie/fruit knife and a boning knife to handle chicken. I've been really looking at cleavers, nakiri, honesuki, and pettys.

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Either is fine

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

I'm open to anything under 9"

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

Trying for around $60 each or $120 total

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Fruit prep and veggie slicing. The other one will be for cutting chicken joints. After my wife pregnancy she has to go on a boiled chicken diet for a month, so I'll be doing a decent amount of birds.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Some crappy Walmart stuff

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Just looking for sharp and effective knives. Looks are a plus.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Maple Edge grain for fruits/veggies and poly boards for meats

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes, I have an Edge Pro Apex

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Sorry I'm still a bit of a noob to this forum and knives, but I'm learning day by day and I still have all my fingers. Also I have a Mac Pro 8.5" chefs knife, but I don't know if I want to do a lot of chicken work with it.

I would go with the CCK. I had one and it was good, but it also let me know that I am not a cleaver guy. That way I just donated it to pay it forward and it wasn't a big loss.

I have a Victorinox Fibrox 9" narrow chefs knife for chicken. I gave all my Wusthofs away, too heavy and clunky. The Victorinox may not be flashy or an uber sexy beast but, it's light, inexpensive and you won't have to worry about chipping one of your really nice knives.

I handled 2 CCK, and I liked them. For the price the knives do their job. CCK being relatively cheap it is a good option to try out a cleaver and see if you like the type.

I have the Fujiwara FKM honesuki and it works very well for taking down chickens. Affordable, good F&F for the price and she won't chip on you.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to get either a Suisin Inox 150mm petty or a Gesshin Stainless 150mm Petty. I'll just use my Mac chefs for veggies and the petty for fruits.

I have the Fujiwara FKM honesuki and it works very well for taking down chickens. Affordable, good F&F for the price and she won't chip on you.

That's great to hear. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Back