Quantcast
Ghee?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghee?

Ghee?

Any of you guys use this to cook with? If so, what type do you use? Also, what do you think of it in general?

I've used it a few times...homemade, though you can get jars of it in Indian grocers.

It's really just clarified butter. Much like other forms of butter, it's quite rich, but Ghee seems a bit more neutral to me.

Overall, I think it's too much trouble to keep around...I just use EVOO for everything

Also, all those saturated fats aren't the best thing for heart health.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I've used it a few times...homemade, though you can get jars of it in Indian grocers.

It's really just clarified butter. Much like other forms of butter, it's quite rich, but Ghee seems a bit more neutral to me.

Overall, I think it's too much trouble to keep around...I just use EVOO for everything

Also, all those saturated fats aren't the best thing for heart health.
    +1
    Very well said
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Any of you guys use this to cook with? If so, what type do you use? Also, what do you think of it in general?
    Just clarify some butter
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Ghee is useful if you are doing high-temperature frying, as its smoke point is higher than most common oils. Whether it's worth the bother to make your own or the expense to buy it is up to you. I've switched over to coconut oil.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Ghee is useful if you are doing high-temperature frying, as its smoke point is higher than most common oils. Whether it's worth the bother to make your own or the expense to buy it is up to you. I've switched over to coconut oil.
    +1. I like the flavor of the coconut oil much better. I did fried chicken in it for the BCS on Monday (BAMA!) and liked the sweet component(I still think lard is the best). I wouldn't recommend it thought because its prohibitively expensive ($30 for all the oil.) I did like telling my sister-in-law the yoga instructor "Don't worry, its healthy because we're using coconut oil and its good for you." with a greasy smile.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Thanks Rick...I forgot about the smoke point.

The smoke point for coconut oil is the same as peanut oil though (450F vs 485 for Ghee) ....but is the predominant oil in some parts of India...so there's an "authenticity" point if you are cooking Indian cuisine And at room temp it's a solid and can be used as a hair product! Smells good too.

Mustard Oil is also common in some parts of India...and I was surprised to see the smoke point for that is 489F.

Safflower oil is 510F, and pretty common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    We use ghee for our hashbrowns. And nothing else. Not for the eggs or frying or serving with french toast... just for cooking the hashbrowns. It's totally asinine, lol.

i briefly worked at a place where our primary cooking fat was clarified butter. the food cost mustve been sky high. still scratching my head about that one, lol.

^ I may have labor beat. ... our primary cooking fat on meat station for ALL searing is duck fat. basting is just good butter but everything gets seared in duck fat. kinda blew my mind when i first started, but .. i just work there