Help me drop 200$ on a chef knife...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefish

Reaction score
Hi guys, realize this is probably an much visited query but I am looking for an upgrade on a chef knife. I would not take it to work, just home use. Currently I have a 14 year old Lamson sharp, and a shun classsic which are both 10".
I also have a shun classic santoku that is 7" that sees a lot of use. I think I am proficient with my edge pro although the more I read the less I am sure about that...
I have a bunch of pocket knives in "snob" steels and can keep them quite sharp. I also have a few in high carbon and have no issue caring for them and don't mind the look of a patina.
Right now I am drawn to a miyabi 7000mc 240mm but have been looking for something in SG2 like the shun elites used.
I am not set on these and came here looking for advice. I have two young kids and bills to pay so this would be more or less a birthday "splurge". I would like to hear your thoughts and would be glad to answer any questions that would help you to guide me in the right direction. Thanks, Russ

Trademarked gives a lot of bang for da bucks!

I'm guessing you mean "trade section"? Definitely good deals to be had in the buy sell trade sections. Just be wary of who you are buying from, and make sure the condition is clearly known and identified before pulling the trigger. I've bought a bunch of knives that way, but didn't always see the flaws right away. I think most sellers try to be honest, but may not know to list some things until asked. Ask how many pervious owners it's had, how many times it's been sharpened, ask if any major repairs have ever been done, find out why they are selling. "It's not right for me" is fair, but tends to point to something that could also be an issue for you as a new owner. Pictures of course are great, but rarely do even the best pictures give enough information for the discerning knifenut.

I have bought 2 knives on the trade section - Im so far very pleased :)
You could put up an "WTB: 240 Gyuto" here at KKF. I did it with a Carter and got an answer after just 2 days :)

The Miyabi Birchwood knives use SG2, but the 240mm version is $100 over budget.

The Fusion line that Miyabi also has is VG10, but the fit and finish is just as good (maybe even a bit better) than the Birchwood, and Miyabi has done a great job with the heat treat on the VG10, and it performs quite well. A 10" is about $140. I have both and like both, if you have an SLT near you, you can handle these in person before deciding what you like.

Hiromoto AS 240 gyuto is fun to play with. Core is carbon, but cladding is stainless steel so it's pretty easy to care for. It's a bit on the thicker side, esp compared to the Shun, but a 'tune' by Dave Martell can reap big benefits. Buy the knife now and have Dave tune it for you, and you should be under $200. Then next year spring for a new custom handle (as the stock ones are pretty horrible), and make it 'your own'.

I'd get the Hattori FH oivind linked. It is a handsome knife and its not so laser-ish that you will need to make any adjustments when using it from the knives you already have

the FH is a great knife. it's the only stainless knife i've kept. it's thin, but not so thin you have to worry about it. i have a 270 Kono white #2, and i'm sure that the Kono stainless is good too. get the FH if you want a western handle, and the kono if you'd like to try a wa. i'd get either over the miyabi, based on blade shape. both the Hattori and the Kono also have some belly, but there is something about the Miyabi that rubs me wrong, just looking at it.

I've had my Hattori FH 240 for about 6 weeks now and I love it. Took a great edge on the Edge Pro (I use the Chosera set to 10K then strop with cardboard and newspaper) and it sees nearly daily use in my home only. I strop after every use and have not had to hit the stones again yet. I have a variety of shuns classics also...they are my wife's now. She is happy with them and doesn't touch my FH.

Its not sg2, but I would like to add the carbonext for consideration, that knife still puts out some of the best bang for the buck and fit and finish are some of the best in that price range.

Back