Quantcast
German asymmetry - a peeler knife

Thread: German asymmetry - a peeler knife

German asymmetry - a peeler knife

Got a carbon peeler -- used for potatoes -- by Robert Herder, Solingen. Very common in Europe. Was curious about the geometry. Well, it's asymmetric, but not as we know. The side supposed to get in touch with the potato -- the right side with a right-hander -- is flat, the left side meant to evacuate the skin if I may say so is convex. The edge somewhat off-centered to the right. The gross edge OOTB: right side ending at some 4 degree, plus a small bevel of some 20 degree, left side some 6 degree perhaps.
    Wouldn't use it for any task with board contact, though. It's soft steel, around 56HRc.

This is what it looks like. Mine is the carbon version.

http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/pt/...nmesje-rvs.htm

i love em. they are called "classic" in germany.

This is a big guess... But if this is a knife designed specifically for peeling potatoes that may be the reason for the convex left side.

Assuming that you peel a potato by holding it in your left hand above the board ,
    The knife in the right hand peeling towards yourself.
    The convex left side may then push the skin away .
    This is a common peeling technique

Again... Just a guess

pretty sure that you are aware but the more expensive Robert Herder 'Für Zwei' caebon parer is a bit harder (60 hrc)

Yup, that is classic geometry for a peeler knife, as I am sure you have noticed by now it helps the knife to function efficiently at this task, helps the blade to slide just under the peel rather than digging deep into the fruit or vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by olpappy View Post
    Yup, that is classic geometry for a peeler knife, as I am sure you have noticed by now it helps the knife to function efficiently at this task, helps the blade to slide just under the peel rather than digging deep into the fruit or vegetable.
    Exactly, I now understand why my best knives are poor peelers!