Looking to build up butchering section of my knife collection
Been cooking for a while but my sous is starting to let me cut meat. I am also interested in buying a whole pig to butcher for christmas presents this year. This creates the perfect opportunity to get some new knives i have been browsing the internet but have been disappointed by the lack of variety so i came here.
I am looking for
a cimetar/butchers knife probably 8-12 inches
a boning knife around 6 inches
and anything else that might be good to add to the knife kit
I always prefer wooden grip over plastic and i like carbon steel but I'm not sure how well that would hold up
Thank you for your help
I would start off with some Dexter Russell knives. All you need is a butcher, boning and bone saw.
You can use the tip of the butcher to skin if you need. I would throw in a good fillet knife.
As someone that once tried to make a living selling Dexter Russell, F.Dick, and Frosts of Sweden meat packing knives, most butchers prefer Victorinox.
Ive got a set by www.eka-knivar.se a Swedish company that make a variety of knives, the butcher set has a gut-hook, boning knife, and Skinner/schimtar and steel. Its Sandvik 12c27, I bought it for hunting as it comes in a pouch but great in the kitchen too.
They also sell a great portable bone saw.
On the bay also. Can't post links but look for eka butcher set.
This was going to be my first suggestion, but the original poster preference is carbon steel/wood handles.
Originally Posted by Noodle Soup
That makes your choices very limited. I think Russell is the only company making professional grade carbon meat packing knives in the U.S. (I don't count Old Hickory etc.) I can't think of a single big name European pro line in carbon.
Originally Posted by Canadian
5"-6" boning knife & 8" breaking knife would cover 95% of your butchering needs. You can add a 12" cimetar to cover the other 5%. Victorinox would be your best bet IMO.
Thank you probably going to go with victorinox i would imagine that there is a reason so many people use it. is there a reason to have the cimetar and the breaking knife the geometry look very similar. also how much of a difference does an angled boning knife make over straight. I'm inclined to go with a straight blade
Most of the butchers I sharpen for like F Dick Ergo grip stainless and vintage carbon, and Forschners
I personally have very little use for a cimetar but there are times they come in handy. The 8" breaking knife on the other hand is my 2nd most used knife (6" curved boning being the most used). You are correct the geometry is very similar...
Originally Posted by theplainsman
Look at most knives for butchering and you will see they all have a similar geometry and the size is what changes mainly. Boning>Breaking>Cimetar.
When it comes to straight vs curved boning that's all personal choice. Same could be said about stiff, flexible, vs semi stiff. For meat I would opt for stiff and curved 5-6".
Edit: for what's it worth I think the 5" is more popular, even though I use a 6".