Quantcast
suggestion
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: suggestion

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mrmnms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    981

    suggestion

    It may sound obvious, but I suggest that guys shipping sold knives, or pass around knives, pack them like they'd want to receive them. Wrap them well and protect the tip for sure. Some guys use a piece of cork or cardboard and painters tape for the tip. There should be no movement in the box. Looking at another small repair after receiving a knife with the blade tip poking through the side of the box.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    It may sound obvious, but I suggest that guys shipping sold knives, or pass around knives, pack them like they'd want to receive them. Wrap them well and protect the tip for sure. Some guys use a piece of cork or cardboard and painters tape for the tip. There should be no movement in the box. Looking at another small repair after receiving a knife with the blade tip poking through the side of the box.
    What this guy said! At the very least make an impromptu saya from some old boxes laying around and duct tape.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    75
    yep, should atleast make a cheap saya with cardboard and tape, so the blade or tip wont get chiped and the just throw in some newpaper to mke sure there are no movement. simple and easy

  4. #4
    Senior Member cheflarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan USA
    Posts
    547
    YES to all of the above! Just imagine if the USPS or UPS carrier was to get stabbed with the protruding tip...... that would lead to a world of trouble nobody want's to deal with!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by cheflarge View Post
    YES to all of the above! Just imagine if the USPS or UPS carrier was to get stabbed with the protruding tip...... that would lead to a world of trouble nobody want's to deal with!
    now getting stab by the tip, dont know if it funny or sad

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    157
    I typically use the cardboard saya route and then bubblewrap the knife box. The hard part is finding a reasonable sized box that fits a knife. I typically end up shipping a knife in a monster size box because I can't find a small one. The larger Priority Mail boxes seem to be good for knives up to 240mm depending on how big the original box is.

  7. #7
    You can also use large shipping tubes
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

  8. #8
    Actually, I think the triangular tubes that are "small" will fit even a long knife, and have reasonable shipping costs (I think it's $5.80 or so). My post office doesn't always have them, though.

    I think some of the ideas here should be part of a sticky for B/S/T.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mitbud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    Actually, I think the triangular tubes that are "small" will fit even a long knife, and have reasonable shipping costs (I think it's $5.80 or so). My post office doesn't always have them, though.

    I think some of the ideas here should be part of a sticky for B/S/T.
    You can order them online at USPS and get them delivered for free.

  10. #10
    Senior Member NO ChoP!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clayton, NC- surrounded by lots of trees
    Posts
    2,089
    I also lube the knife with mineral oil; handle, blade, saya...everything. I've had a few knives show up with rust spots through transit. Plastic bubbles probably aren't the best at keeping moisture in check...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •