Messing around making gifts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Everyone in my family feels like they should get something made from wood as Christmas gifts.
So I started a bit earlier than last year.
These were made to be a light duty cutting board / serving platter.
I made the smaller one yesterday and took it home to see what my wife thought of it.
She liked it but thought it should be a little wider and that I should use a fancier piece of wood. The smaller one is about 8" wide by about 20" long.
So today I made one a bit larger. About 10" wide and 24" long. Used fancier wood too. Now I will take them both home and see what she thinks of the larger fancier version. She gives me an objective opinion and tends to notice things that I might overlook.

I am curious to hear what you all think of these. Any input is welcomed.
It is doubtful I will be making these to sell. With the time I am putting into them they would be pretty expensive.

7_zps0a0b9332.jpg

Someone sent a note asking what type of wood these are.
They are both Oregon Big Leaf Maple. The top piece came from the estate of a woodworker and said "blister maple" in chalk.

They are gorgeous! love the grain in that blister maple..

I liked the smaller one yesterday, but now, compared to the bigger one it looks like shelving material to me.

Back