Strop search!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oui Chef

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the leather strop from Knifewear. The guys there seem great to deal with, I'm picking up a Christmas pressie from there and I'm in need of a strop too so I figured I'd check in here first :)
Opposing recommendations are also welcome (looking for a strop and hone)!
Cheers

I guess a lot about stropping comes down to personal preference and confidence in what you're using so that being said I wouldn't buy that strop. I would look at a modular solution where you could replace the leather or use something else besides leather such as felt. I may open up a debate here but for me personally I get better results from hard felt. I find it easier to roll edges using leather. Also, I find that hard felt is better at grabbing small particles and tearing them away from your edge. Leather seems to align them but leaves them hanging. I also like the bite I get with diamond spray on felt vs a anything on leather. Again, this is just personal preference. Others will have different opinions. I think Marko sells a base with rock hard leather pads (check the vendor section). His felt is very hard which is key in getting good results. Lastly, I just don't like the form of the Knifewear strop. Unless you are using with with razors the handle is superfluous. I see the leather on both sides as problematic too. Unless your workspace is super clean you're looking at introducing impurities into your pasted side and/or damaging either side which happens to be facing down.

Thanks for your input tripleq. All good points.
I will definitely look into Marko's set up, his work is very handsome.

I've been using the knifewear strop for 5 years, and it's been lovely. I like the wooden mounting, I find the handle makes it easier to use. I keep it on it's side when not in use, so cleanliness isn't an issue. Kevin from knifewear is the reason I started to look into knives, that shop is worth supporting.

Latest posts

Back