Quantcast
Buy/Sell forum flag options.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Buy/Sell forum flag options.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    259

    Buy/Sell forum flag options.

    Have you guys considered adding a "Pls Remove" tab in the buy/sell forum? I'm a member of another forum and they have a similar volume of items listed, but the main difference is that once the item has sold you can go into the thread options and select a "Pls Remove" button, which flags the post to be removed by moderators. I've found this to be a very nice feature for de-clutterring and maintaining the for sale section. It keeps only those items that are actually for sale listed. Why have hundreds of pages of listings that are either sold or no longer for sale?

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member bkultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    412
    Instead of a "remove" tag I would recommend a "sold" tag. The reason being is I often visit the sold posts to look @ the knives or track sales and prices. It also introduces a lot of the lesser discussed makers to many of the members/visitors.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,959
    Quote Originally Posted by bkultra View Post
    Instead of a "remove" tag I would recommend a "sold" tag. The reason being is I often visit the sold posts to look @ the knives or track sales and prices. It also introduces a lot of the lesser discussed makers to many of the members/visitors.
    This makes sense to me. I agree that it's interesting to look at closed transactions (both for the pictures, and the prices).

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    mr drinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    3,039
    And maybe lock the thread too. It might be a bit more difficult when a person sells multiple items though.

    k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    601
    I like having the threads there for historical reference. Sometimes there are pieces of useful advice (which may or may not be directly related to the sale) there, and sometimes people re-sell knives bought there, and it's helpful to go back and look at the original sales thread, so I don't think they should be removed.

    I do like to encourage sellers to state when the item has sold (and perhaps then a mod could lock it). Sometimes people (usually newbies) add a comment a year later, when the item is long gone.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    And maybe lock the thread too. It might be a bit more difficult when a person sells multiple items though.

    k.
    + 1 on the lock option. I think multiple items can be managed fine and the lock option will at least let people know an unlocked thread contains an unsold item. It could be a plus for sellers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    I like having the threads there for historical reference. Sometimes there are pieces of useful advice (which may or may not be directly related to the sale) there, and sometimes people re-sell knives bought there, and it's helpful to go back and look at the original sales thread, so I don't think they should be removed.

    I do like to encourage sellers to state when the item has sold (and perhaps then a mod could lock it). Sometimes people (usually newbies) add a comment a year later, when the item is long gone.
    With respect, I think it should be the option of the seller whether he or she wants the thread removed.

  8. #8
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    9,292
    I can see how there's a need for marking threads as open or closed/sold or whatever. The option to delete a thread won't happen though, we never remove content.



    How about something like a "completed transaction" sub-forum?

    The threads could be moved when the transaction is complete. This leaves the thread open for viewing/referencing but not for posting.

    The only thread in BST would then be open for business.

    I'm just tossing this out there, please post your suggestions.

  9. #9
    Senior Member daveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Just outside Tampa
    Posts
    725
    I like that content is retained as it allows some historical searching for specific or similar knives. A flag to show spf or sold would be useful when browsing b/s/t but I think it should be user driven. I'm sure mods have other things to do than move threads or close threads and would not want to increase burden on them. My 2 cents.

    And while I'm here an effective search engine for site would be nice.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

  10. #10
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    9,292
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    ..... but I think it should be user driven. I'm sure mods have other things to do than move threads or close threads and would not want to increase burden on them. My 2 cents.

    I didn't want to say that but I'm glad someone did. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts