Quantcast
Buy/Sell forum flag options.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy/Sell forum flag options.

Buy/Sell forum flag options.

Have you guys considered adding a "Pls Remove" tab in the buy/sell forum? I'm a member of another forum and they have a similar volume of items listed, but the main difference is that once the item has sold you can go into the thread options and select a "Pls Remove" button, which flags the post to be removed by moderators. I've found this to be a very nice feature for de-clutterring and maintaining the for sale section. It keeps only those items that are actually for sale listed. Why have hundreds of pages of listings that are either sold or no longer for sale?

thoughts?

Instead of a "remove" tag I would recommend a "sold" tag. The reason being is I often visit the sold posts to look @ the knives or track sales and prices. It also introduces a lot of the lesser discussed makers to many of the members/visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by bkultra View Post
    Instead of a "remove" tag I would recommend a "sold" tag. The reason being is I often visit the sold posts to look @ the knives or track sales and prices. It also introduces a lot of the lesser discussed makers to many of the members/visitors.
    This makes sense to me. I agree that it's interesting to look at closed transactions (both for the pictures, and the prices).

And maybe lock the thread too. It might be a bit more difficult when a person sells multiple items though.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I like having the threads there for historical reference. Sometimes there are pieces of useful advice (which may or may not be directly related to the sale) there, and sometimes people re-sell knives bought there, and it's helpful to go back and look at the original sales thread, so I don't think they should be removed.

I do like to encourage sellers to state when the item has sold (and perhaps then a mod could lock it). Sometimes people (usually newbies) add a comment a year later, when the item is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    And maybe lock the thread too. It might be a bit more difficult when a person sells multiple items though.

k.
    + 1 on the lock option. I think multiple items can be managed fine and the lock option will at least let people know an unlocked thread contains an unsold item. It could be a plus for sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    I like having the threads there for historical reference. Sometimes there are pieces of useful advice (which may or may not be directly related to the sale) there, and sometimes people re-sell knives bought there, and it's helpful to go back and look at the original sales thread, so I don't think they should be removed.

I do like to encourage sellers to state when the item has sold (and perhaps then a mod could lock it). Sometimes people (usually newbies) add a comment a year later, when the item is long gone.
    With respect, I think it should be the option of the seller whether he or she wants the thread removed.

I can see how there's a need for marking threads as open or closed/sold or whatever. The option to delete a thread won't happen though, we never remove content.

How about something like a "completed transaction" sub-forum?

The threads could be moved when the transaction is complete. This leaves the thread open for viewing/referencing but not for posting.

The only thread in BST would then be open for business.

I'm just tossing this out there, please post your suggestions.

I like that content is retained as it allows some historical searching for specific or similar knives. A flag to show spf or sold would be useful when browsing b/s/t but I think it should be user driven. I'm sure mods have other things to do than move threads or close threads and would not want to increase burden on them. My 2 cents.

And while I'm here an effective search engine for site would be nice.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    ..... but I think it should be user driven. I'm sure mods have other things to do than move threads or close threads and would not want to increase burden on them. My 2 cents.

I didn't want to say that but I'm glad someone did. Thanks!