Large Cypress Sushi Cutting Boards....any interest?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I just got off the phone talking to a mill owner in Hawaii.
One of the woods that came up in conversation was large pieces of Monterey Cypress.
I half way remembered someone asking about thick slabs to be used by Sushi Chefs.
This is something I know nothing about. So I need help from you guys. I don't even know what you call these other than a big thick board.
What would be good finished dimensions for a large single piece board like the Sushi Chefs use?
They will probably be fairly expensive so I need to know what something like this would normally sell for.
Plus, he has some nicely figured pieces for fancier ones.

Not sure if this is something I should pursue, so if any of the Sushi guys would give their input it would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking something like what is shown in this photo.
post-56978-046786500%201291041545.jpg

I have no business wanting something like that, but I do!

I might have to burn it for warmth when my wife kicks me out to the doghouse though.

If I kicked my wife's Keurig into the trash, I would have room for something like that... She'd kill me, though, and not just because of throwing her coffee maker away, but because she hates my existing 20x15x3 edge grain boards, as it is.

I find it cool and would want smth like that for my kitchen if I was single. But once you're married, it's all about compromise. And my wife wouldn't see the beauty or coolness in half a treue in our kitchen, I'm afraid...

I was told the big board in the photo is Ginko.
which brings up a question.....
Is Cypress desirable as a wood type?
or would Maple be good?

The reason I ask is because we have some large maple logs we will be milling soon.

Maple always makes for a good cutting board, sounds like it would make a great workbench slab too.
I was told the big board in the photo is Ginko.
which brings up a question.....
Is Cypress desirable as a wood type?
or would Maple be good?

The reason I ask is because we have some large maple logs we will be milling soon.

his is hinoki... he actually manages to stay pretty busy over there somehow.

One thing i think people dont understand is the massive amount of care and maintenance that goes into a board like that... he sands it every day to keep it clean and flat

I'm shocked at the difference in closing ritual form restaurant to restaurant. Some places you pack up in 5 min and hope a porter does some deep cleaning. Other places guys are there for 2 hours after close. Shela shining, sharpening, and setting up for the morning.

his is hinoki... he actually manages to stay pretty busy over there somehow.
One thing i think people dont understand is the massive amount of care and maintenance that goes into a board like that... he sands it every day to keep it clean and flat

It's not like you can take it over to the sink and scrub the board.
When I was a kid in high school in wood shop class we used a cabinet scraper instead of coarser grit sandpaper.
02Z08.jpg

I bet that would work well on a large board like this.

The first thing I thought of when I read Jons post was a cabinet scraper. A really great tool that has been lost to the plug in world except for Luthiers and other no electricity craftsmen.

Back