Quantcast
Which knife as a gift for mom?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Which knife as a gift for mom?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12

    Which knife as a gift for mom?

    She has a drawer full of crappy chef's knives that I was going to sharpen for her, but I'd rather get her a nice knife to replace them. She's doesn't cook frequently, and this will likely be the only knife she uses, so I was leaning towards a Global G-2 as a good all-around performer. I also saw a recommendation for the SX-2 Granshe. I'm looking to spend $100. I also have Amazon Prime so the free shipping there would be a nice perk, but overall, it's not that important.

    LOCATION
    What country are you in?
    USA. Need delivery by Christmas; I don't mind buying from a reputable dealer in Japan or Europe.

    KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    Chef's knife

    Are you right or left handed?
    Righty

    Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Doesn't matter, just needs to be comfortable for a non-chef, relatively small woman's hand

    What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    210-240mm probably

    Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    Yes

    What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    $125, preferably $100 plus shipping


    KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Home

    What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    Unknown

    What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    N/A

    Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Unknown, I'll be happy to teach her if anybody has a recommendation

    What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    Unknown, same as above

    What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
    N/A

    Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
    Stain resistance and as little maintenance as possible

    Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
    Unknown

    Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
    Simplest knife for a beginner who won't be researching or practicing

    Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
    As long as possible


    KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
    Wood only, I believe

    Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    No

    If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
    No, I'll do them for her when necessary, but it would be probably years in between. I'm also very much a beginner.

    Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
    No

  2. #2
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,054
    You better sharpen -- and thin... -- one of her existing knives. Are you sure she will ever use a knew one, or rather keep it respectfully in the box and never actually use it??
    I must admit that the Global G-2 is a great knife, in fact, with the little GS-5 the only Global I like. But its handle nor appearance are made for everyone, and edge retention is not exactly their strongest point.
    Our expectations about knives and their sharpness are far away of that of normal people. And a lot of people are used to their own utensils and won't easily accept any interference into that domain.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    You better sharpen -- and thin... -- one of her existing knives. Are you sure she will ever use a knew one, or rather keep it respectfully in the box and never actually use it??
    I must admit that the Global G-2 is a great knife, in fact, with the little GS-5 the only Global I like. But its handle nor appearance are made for everyone, and edge retention is not exactly their strongest point.
    Our expectations about knives and their sharpness are far away of that of normal people. And a lot of people are used to their own utensils and won't easily accept any interference into that domain.
    Well, she did approach me during my Thanksgiving visit about sharpening them for her, and she planned to keep the best one or two and get rid of the others. After looking through the pile, there aren't really any that are even passable, and I know that if I give her a new knife, she'd use that and just keep one other as a backup.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    431
    Tojiro DP series seems to be popular for this price range.
    Also you might be able to get Mac Pro santoku around this price range if you look around.
    Shun might be an option as well, easy to find.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,054
    You're better off with a Carbonext, Hiromoto G3 or a Misono Moly or 440, all with JCK, japanesechefsknife.com
    All will outperform the Tojiros and Shuns, who both suffer from a poor heat treatment.
    But a Misono Moly is of all those the most forgiving which makes sense with a novice.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Columbia , MD
    Posts
    84
    But think of edge retention. You dont want to give her a carbon knife that has to be sharpened frequently. I honestly think you should think about getting her gesshin stainless, gonbei series, or even dt in aebl of you really love your mom lol. Basically go stainless or even stainless clad like the kohetsu 210mm on the site we dont speak of.

  7. #7
    Erilyn75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Edwards AFB
    Posts
    555
    I second a Misono. The 440 was my first Japanese knife and I loved it. If I didn't frequent this forum so often and see all the pretties, I would have kept it. Bad influences here

  8. #8
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    I second a Misono. The 440 was my first Japanese knife and I loved it. If I didn't frequent this forum so often and see all the pretties, I would have kept it. Bad influences here
    Are you sure it weren't exactly these same "influences" that led you to the Misono??

  9. #9
    Erilyn75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Edwards AFB
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Are you sure it weren't exactly these same "influences" that led you to the Misono??
    I shall not confirm nor deny

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    Tojiro DP series seems to be popular for this price range.
    Also you might be able to get Mac Pro santoku around this price range if you look around.
    Shun might be an option as well, easy to find.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll add these to the research list!

    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    You're better off with a Carbonext, Hiromoto G3 or a Misono Moly or 440, all with JCK, japanesechefsknife.com
    All will outperform the Tojiros and Shuns, who both suffer from a poor heat treatment.
    But a Misono Moly is of all those the most forgiving which makes sense with a novice.
    Hmm, all knives I know nothing about, I'll look into these as well!

    Quote Originally Posted by 420layersofdank View Post
    But think of edge retention. You dont want to give her a carbon knife that has to be sharpened frequently. I honestly think you should think about getting her gesshin stainless, gonbei series, or even dt in aebl of you really love your mom lol. Basically go stainless or even stainless clad like the kohetsu 210mm on the site we dont speak of.
    I would be drawn toward something with excellent edge retention... I'm not here frequently enough to know of this unspoken site, but I'll look around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    I second a Misono. The 440 was my first Japanese knife and I loved it. If I didn't frequent this forum so often and see all the pretties, I would have kept it. Bad influences here
    Two votes for Misono: top of the list!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts