Quantcast
Masamoto vs Shigefusa Gyuto Profile Preferences - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masamoto vs Shigefusa Gyuto Profile Preferences

I should state I agree that the Masamoto is not as well rounded of a profile (compared to Shigefusa). I am also a home cook and can deal with this fact easier then a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I agree, both great profiles, but as you probably know already that the shig's profile supports it's geometry well.

When I owned both I'd use the shig 240, which is a big knife, for prep work and the Masamoto for line work. It just happened to be better suited for my line.
    +1. I owned your old 250 for a short time, and while I never had the opportunity to use it on the line(not a big call for that type of knife at a BBQ restaurant during service), it crossed my mind more than once how much I wished I'd had it back when I was running a 'finer dining' place.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Now a different question.

Many Japanese knife profiles, including Shigefusa (but not Masamoto) have dropped heel, I guess, to facilitate rocking with a flatter profile knife compared to European chef knives. How many find this feature useful? For a long time, there seemed to be a consensus that a flat area at the heel (1/4-1/3 of the edge lengh) is a good thing for those who prefer to cut with a heel area.

Would a heavy gyuto benefit from having a dropped heel? I have had this conversation with a a couple of pros and both thought it was useful feature, as it facilitates a cutting motion, making the weight of the knife to do more work.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Yes. I highly prefer a dropped heel. Full heel feels very clunky to me and unnatural. But only the heel itself, say a matter of mm's. That flat spot starting early is nice, but not if it's too flat for too long.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Yes. I highly prefer a dropped heel. Full heel feels very clunky to me and unnatural. But only the heel itself, say a matter of mm's. That flat spot starting early is nice, but not if it's too flat for too long.
    +1

Having both Shig and KS at the moment I can honestly say, the only thing that I prefer the Masamoto for is push cutting. Overall, I consider the Shig the more useful knife for everything else. And has been stated numerous times--the geometry of the Shig is totally badass.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

What are we defining as a dropped heel?

Shigefusa. I can't seem to stop visiting Maxims site and drool over them...

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    thanks, that is what I was looking for. Will make some heavy chef's with a dropped heel.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The shige profile is perfect in every way

Simple - KS
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

+ Reply to Thread